Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Union mismatch

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Union mismatch

I am stuck trying to replace my pump.

I unscrewed a union and need to replace the female side of it. The male side had no room to be saved. A new 2" union I bought does not match the threading.
    The existing union manufacture is HydroAir.

What are my options?
    Should I cut it off? is .75" enough for a coupler?

Thank you!

Attachment 43752

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Union mismatch

Where did you buy the new union? Try buying from a different store. I found that Lowes and Home Depot sell different ones so..........

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Search for buttress threaded union. You should be able to find one that will fit.

Here's one place that has them. They even have the dimensions so you can be sure it's the right one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Where did you buy the new union? Try buying from a different store. I found that Lowes and Home Depot sell different ones so..........

Kim
    I tried both Lowes and Home Depot. Both were mismatched.
    I am going to try Leslie's today.

I found the Hydroair brand(now Balboa) online, but shipping is a week.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0030...=A401NOVPDA3ZS

5. Back To Top    #5

Update:
    No luck finding a match.

If I hack off the old Union. Is the 3/4 inch bare pipe coming out of the multi-valve enough surface space to get a good seal with a coupler?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

barely, and it will end your options once you do it.

Why not put a non-schedule 40 coupler on and then a pvc pipe after that? That'll give you the correct depth to set a new union which really should be an inch at least
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just make sure to get the glue joint exactly right and allow at least 12 hours curing time for the glue.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Why not cut the end off and use an PVC pipe extender? It fits inside the PVC pipe and provides you a proper amount of pipe to glue to. Yes it does reduce the inside diameter of the pipe for a small portion but it shouldn't hamper performance.

JamesW, why the 12HR cure time? Every day I glue PVC together and have a system back running in minutes with no leaks.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

My very poorly worded post is saying almost the same as ps0303. Cut the union off, glue on a non-schdule 40 coupler (only needs 5/8) and then glue adequate pipe on the other side of the coupler to accept the new union.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

With a full depth glue joint, 10 minutes can be enough. At 3/4" I would wait extra time just to be safe. Probably not necessary, but it gives that extra margin of safety.

Pipe extenders are usually a good fit, but sometimes they can be a little loose. Allowing extra time can help reduce the risk of leaks.

Some unions are abs, which can take longer to get a secure glue joint to pvc.

If someone is not experienced making glue joints, errors in procedure can reduce the quality of the joint.

Waiting extra time always reduces the risk of a leak.

11. Back To Top    #11

UPDATE:

I hacked off the old half of the union and put a coupler over the 2" pipe. I let it cure overnight and it's held well for the past two days.

I appreciate all the help and advice!

12. Back To Top    #12