New Pool Chemical Question

Nov 2, 2015
Orlando
New Pool filled by Builder on 10/23 Startup Chemicals added on 10/25 or 10/26 Builder says. Is it possible that on 10/29 Evening testing with a HDX cheap test kit from Home depot that the Chlorine level would register as 0.0 Clear and PH level would be off the chart Purple?.

Please advise as I do not think the Builder put any chemicals in pool

Welcome to TFP!

If there is no CYA in your water then the chlorine was probably gone within a day. Is your salt water generator up and running yet? As for your pH, that will drift depending on many variables. Do you have a plaster finish? I ask because curing plaster will cause significant pH rise during the first few months that needs to be managed carefully to maintain the plaster health. The salt water generator can also cause the pH to rise due to outgassing. That is largely dependant on your total alkalinity, something your HDX kit cannot measure which is why MarianParoo mentioned our recommended kit.

As for advice, you need to get your pH down and your chlorine up, but that is just general advice. Without proper test results I can't mention specifics. I also strongly suggest you get some reading in if you haven't yet so you understand more what is going on with your water and what we are going to suggest going forward. Here are a couple of Pool School links that should help you get started:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - What is TFPC?
Pool School - Recommended Levels

There is plenty more but I don't want to overwhelm you. Pool care seems very intimidating at first but it really is simple once you learn the terms and procedures. Please feel free to ask any questions, we are all pool owners who started knowing nothing and are happy to help others learn to manage their pools the simplest and most cost efficient way there is!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.