Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical storage

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical storage

Where do yall store your chemicals at? Is it ok to store the chemicals inside a home, like in the utility room? I know bleach is safe, just wasn't sure about any others.

Sorry wrong forum, please move if need be
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical storage

Muratic acid is the main "bad" one. It should be way away from the bleach/chlorine. I keep mine in a well vented plastic container outside. It should NOT be in or by metal as it can cause rusting.

bleach/chlorine-----no big deal where you keep it BUT be mindful of kids and pets. Don't want it spilled or played with.

All others no big deal.

I have my stuff out in a plastic pool box by the pool. The MA has it's own box. All the other stuff has one large box.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Dry chemicals can be stored most anywhere, just be sure to seal the containers up tight to keep them dry.

The one to worry a little about is muriatic acid. Bottles you purchase it in are designed to vent fumes so they don't build up in the container. But, that means you'll have some low level MA fumes in the area of the jug most of the time. This can be hard on anything metal in the area, increasing corrosion. Don't store near vehicles, bicycles, tools... etc in the garage. If storing indoors, do not store near furnaces, water heaters, washers, dryers or other household appliances. Again, it increases corrosion. It should be stored in a cool but well-ventilated area away from these types of items. Mine resides in a small pantry area in the utility room, but well away from the appliances in the room during the winter. In the summer it goes in the shaded plastic cabinet in my screen porch.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, yea ma is the one I was concerned about. My utility room has washer,dryer and fridge. Guess I'll keep it outdoors in a plastic tote of some sort.
    IG Pebble sheen blue surf approx. 14k gallon, beach entry, 7' spa, 3.5 ton jumping rock/waterfall, Pentair 2hp whisper flo, booster pump, 520 cartridge filter, Stenner Econ T, 400k master temp heater, easy touch controls,TF-100 w/speedstir