Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I met with the owner of the plaster company today

1. Back To Top    #1

I met with the owner of the plaster company today

I have been unhappy with the quality (look) of the plaster, esp. after they left contaminated water on my sun shelf and it left big marks. They acid washed the pool but over time, all those areas became visible again.

So the guy finally came out today. I showed him our book of all the testing we have done. I talked about TFP, asked if he had heard of you. Nope.

Anyway, he told me that our plaster is one of the hardest to maintain. I didn't get the memo on that. He also said that he thought our pH was too high and should be 7.2 or lower for That plaster. Didn't get That memo. He said bc we didn't have a heater, we would be okay with it being even lower, like 6 something. He said if we lowered the pH, we wouldn't use as much chlorine. He also asked if we had a saturation wheel. Nope. Didn't know we needed one. He also said we needed to keep our TA between 80 - 90.

he offered us two -- no, three suggestions:

1. Lower the pH to 7.2 or below. Wait 2 weeks. If we see improvement, we can keep it that way.
    2. If that doesn't work, drain the pool and re-acid wash it again and keep pH at 7.2 OR
    3. he would give us a "discount" to change to Pebbletec and we won't have these problems....

I re-reviewed the TFPC chart about pH. We have been in that range. I found this very interesting. This directly contradicts what y'all say about pH recommendations for salt pools.
    We decided to try 1 first. Husband is going to go get more acid today.

Do you experts agree with this? It seems strange to me. and we didn't choose pebbletec bc of the texture - no other reason.
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I met with the owner of the plaster company today

Wet Edge | Warranty

This page contains the wet edge startup guide. It's a copy of the National Plasterers Council guide. I would contact wet edge and bring them in on this.

Your plaster is not any more difficult to maintain than any other type.

The first 30 days are critical to good plaster. The contractor should have provided clear instructions on this.

3. Back To Top    #3

well, we did brush the pool twice a day and the pool was filled immediately. we were not told to test the pool water nor were we told not to use a pool vac (we didn't have one at the time but still). I never registered the plaster - never even gave it a thought! I didn't know they had that kind of thing!! And even their own instructions say BETWEEN 7.2 and 7.6! we didn't put salt in until the next May
    19k SW IG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by DMS2014 View Post
    He said bc we didn't have a heater, we would be okay with it being even lower, like 6 something.
    LOL! PH of 6?!?!

Your eyes would be on fire swimming in that.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

6-something...lower than 7 is what he said!
    19k SW IG

6. Back To Top    #6

he's right though. You'll go through less chlorine. Because you won't even be swimming in it.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

7. Back To Top    #7

ha ha - yeah. my husband said the same thing. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and ASSume he meant while we weren't swimming in it to see if it fixes anything BUT quite honestly I think it was poor application. i've tried to take pics of it but i can't get any good ones.
    19k SW IG

8. Back To Top    #8

The plaster saga continues

I tried to find my other thread about my plaster situation but it's gone. Anyway, I wasn't happy with the way our plaster looked - there's drip marks everywhere, there big patches of screwed up color <don't really know how to describe it> and we tried acid washing it and changing the pH. Nothing has worked.

The plaster guy wants to switch us over to another plaster - Pebbletec or something. He said again that it's because of the color it is. I know someone here responded and gave me a link to wet edge and I read it. He didn't believe that color had anything to do with it.

SO the plaster guy is supposed to bring some samples for us to look at. He won't admit that his guys did a bad job and I haven't found anyone who has blue plaster in their pool that I can go look at.....I want to take pictures and prove to him that I know he's full of it.

Will the Pebbletec be easier? What are the advantages to it? I don't know why we didn't choose it to begin with. I have no memory....

Thoughts anyone?
    19k SW IG

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: The plaster saga continues

Are you referring to this thread? You didn't chose Pebbletec because of the texture

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/107621-I-met-with-the-owner-of-the-plaster-company-today?p=943603#post943603"]troublefreepool[/URL].com/threads/107621-I-met-with-the-owner-of-the-plaster-company-today?p=943603#post943603
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

11. Back To Top    #11

How the heck did you guys find it? I looked in my threads history and it didn't go back that far.

Yeah, i went back and read it. I just can't believe that this color is hard to maintain. There's nothing to maintain - the plaster, I think, was put down poorly....I wish I could get good pictures !
    19k SW IG

12. Back To Top    #12

Suggest you post them on that other thread because there's history there. Too many threads get confusing.
    I went to your homepage and clicked on all recent started THREADS.

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

MP is right....too many threads (or even two threads on the same subject) is VERY confusing.

I merged them together.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

awesome.

That's where I went too and it only showed me 4. Hmmm. I guess I'm retarded.
    19k SW IG

15. Back To Top    #15

REgarding teh way the plaster looks. Its called Mottling and is difficult to control unless the plaster installer has a very good understanding of plaster chemistry. The reason it happens is two-fold.
    1. The way its applied and experience of the plaster crew
    2. the way the plaster is started up (and then maintained immediately thereafter).

Also darker the plaster color, the more noticeable it will be if it happens. A little bit of mottling should be expected but excessive mottling should not happen if the proper application and maintenace is explicitly followed.

Whoever the PB or plaster guy was you told you to keep your pH low is full of it. Do Not let that guy install the new plaster or you will end up with the same problem again.

Here is a link to posts about pool plaster. It would be a good idea to familiarize yourself with this to get an idea of what might be happening.
    Start-up Chemistry for Plaster Pools
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

16. Back To Top    #16

As for the pH comment, it clearly shows he's never heard of TFP because it is absolutely wrong! It would be exceedingly difficult to maintain water at a pH of below 7 and TA up near 90ppm. At low pH, the bicarbonate alkalinity equilibrium is shifted towards more dissolved CO2. As that dissolved CO2 outgasses form heat, aeration, etc, you pool water pH will rise rapidly as the rate of rise is directly proportional to the amount of dissolved CO2. In effect, you will be adding lots of acid very frequently to maintain such a low pH and then, because the TA will decrease with every acid addition, you will dumping baking soda into the pool like mad to keep the TA from crashing. You will find yourself in a vicious cycle of combating pH rise and adding TA. Eventually you'll run out of money....

So, listen to what Divin' Dave said and DO NOT let that guy anywhere near your pool

Honestly speaking, I love the look of some plaster jobs, but it is so dependent on the quality and experience of the plasterer that I don't think I would ever get plaster. The one thing you can say for PebbleTek and exposed aggregate products is that they very effectively hide a "multitude of sins" from the plasterer. Even PebbleTek can be mottled, but the exposed aggregate evens out and hides a lot of the mottling in the plaster base. This is just my personal opinion about plaster so take it for what it's worth...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

17. Back To Top    #17

No plaster Mfgr suggests holding pH that low. If is is the highest level at which you can go with this company, that is too bad. You need someone that understands basic pool chemistry and maintenance of finishes. This gentleman clearly does not. I'm sorry to hear of this trouble for you, but it's a prime example of a bad install. When they are done right, mottling, and color variation will be at a minimum. Streaks, drips, and the like, are from poor installation techniques and practices. They should not be there, and him blaming you is flat out wrong.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

18. Back To Top    #18

awesome.

That's where I went too and it only showed me 4. Hmmm. I guess I'm retarded.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    No plaster Mfgr suggests holding pH that low. If is is the highest level at which you can go with this company, that is too bad. You need someone that understands basic pool chemistry and maintenance of finishes. This gentleman clearly does not. I'm sorry to hear of this trouble for you, but it's a prime example of a bad install. When they are done right, mottling, and color variation will be at a minimum. Streaks, drips, and the like, are from poor installation techniques and practices. They should not be there, and him blaming you is flat out wrong.
    thank you patrick. I was at a loss to explain what I was seeing in the pool. you said it perfectly - I have everything from streaks, long sections of color variation, spots and other stuff I wish I could get pictures of. I have tried several times to take pics but they haven't come out. I would need to get in the water and with a water camera.

We did everything they told us today from day one. I wonder how they plan on doing this -- do they chip out the old plaster? What will happen to my tiles???
    19k SW IG

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry I messed that link up....
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

20. Back To Top    #20

hey, i mess up stuff here all the time - I think one time an admin slapped me 5 times in one day bc i was trying to figure out something and it wasn't working....
    19k SW IG