Snake in my pool lines/equipment

pfknp

May 23, 2014
United States
A small black snake (though harmless yet "eek-y" anyway) approximately 7 inches long and quite slender got into my lanai and decided to take a swim. I chased it around with a skim net and a brush hoping to trap and release outside the lanai. It swam into the entrance to the skimmer basket before I could stop it. Well I thought it would be in the basket. But no. It got sucked or swam into the pipe which heads to the pump, chlorinator, filtration and solar systems. m. Now what do I do? I am sure it is in there because it is nowhere else. This can't be good for the system or the snake! I am concerned it will end up doing some damage somewhere... and if it gets up into the line that feeds the solar that is not a good thing. I probably should have turned that off when it happened.... better do that now. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

As Texas Splash mentions, if it went through the skimmer basket, chances are that it is caught in the pump basket (unless that is damage to both skimmer baskets and pump basket). I have had garden snakes (around the same size) enter the basket, and they seem to swirl around in circles. It is very possible that the snake is still in the pool somewhere. I have seen snakes enter the skimmer basket and then suddenly disappear only to find them laying on the floor of the pool. You may wish to install filter fabric in the skimmer baskets for next time. They do wonders in picking up debris and any other objects. Please keep us posted if you find the snake.

If indeed the snake entered the DE filter, you may have to take apart to find the snake.

Thanks for the info. I looked in the pump basket.... does not seem to be in there. I have been at the pool doing cleaning of cage and deck all day. Did not see it since it entered.. I think I will get the fabric you are talking about for the skimmer basket. My DE Filter is due for a major cleaning so we shall see what we shall see. I also am due to clean the chlorinator cell. Luckily there is no loss in pressure. Still, I would like to know for sure where it is and get it out!

Unfortunately any pool that is outside is exposed to the elements, which includes garden snakes, bugs, field mice, etc. Once I found a field mouse swimming around and I picked him up and gently placed him in the woods. No frogs yet, as I have been lucky on this one.

I am assuming that you have damage to your skimmer and pump basket. In addition, the suction in skimmers at the pump level is not that great that a small snake would be sucked in that quickly. Please keep us posted once you find the little critter!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.