Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long and how hard...?

1. Back To Top    #1

How long and how hard...?

Hi again folks!

I just spent a couple grand having my spa dug out to have leaky jets replaced. Now, everything seems to be working again.

But my pool pro lowered my Jandy AquaPure 700 down to 60%. Said I was running it too high (75%). I do trust him, but I'm curious to know if there is a grand formula to use to calculate how long and at what strength to run the thing to properly keep the chlorination (assuming FC and CYA are properly set).

11,800 gallon diamond-brite in-ground pool with second-level 5 ft. diameter spa.
    Jandy DEV48 D.E. filter / Jandy AquaPure 700 SWG with AquaLink RS and PDA Controls
    Jandy Stealth SHMP 1.5 pump / Jandy EEiT EE2000T Solar/Electric Heater.
    TF-100 Test Kit with Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    Pool is inside a screened enclosure in South Florida.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long and how hard...?

There is no grand formula. You run your pumps and SWG so that your FC/CYA ratio is 7.5%. Or, simply follow the FC/CYA chart in pool school.

As the seasons change and weather cools, you'll need less pump/SWG runtime to maintain the necessary level of FC. My water temp has dropped into the high 60's and I'm only running my pump 4hrs/day with my SWG set to 25% and I still have too much FC (slightly over 10ppm). So I will be dialing down my pump run time to most likely 2hrs/day.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! My pool water never gets below 85-ish, even in "winter" here in FL.

I guess I wish there was a formula or even just a stat to show me how much Chlorine my SWG actually makes at each percentage

11,800 gallon diamond-brite in-ground pool with second-level 5 ft. diameter spa.
    Jandy DEV48 D.E. filter / Jandy AquaPure 700 SWG with AquaLink RS and PDA Controls
    Jandy Stealth SHMP 1.5 pump / Jandy EEiT EE2000T Solar/Electric Heater.
    TF-100 Test Kit with Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    Pool is inside a screened enclosure in South Florida.

4. Back To Top    #4

Every SWG produces a known quantity of chlorine gas per 24hr period. For my IC-40 its 1.6lbs/day. I think the Jandy AquaPure 700's produce 0.75lbs/day (check online or the owners manual)

Also, the SWG's all operate in duty cycle mode - 100% means fully on all the time, 50% means half on half off for a specific time period, etc, etc. Some models use an hourly time period (so 50% = 30mins ON / 30mins OFF), others use a different time period.

But, if you know the output % and the run time of your pumps, you can easily calculate how many ounces of chlorine gas is produced and PoolMath can convert those ounces into ppm FC.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates