Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winter Pool Cover in TN?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ooltewah, TN

Winter Pool Cover in TN?

So the question that I have my concrete done and most of the leaves have been in and out of the pool...What's the point of a cover if I have a fence around it(installed this week).

Do you have one?

My problem is that I would hate to drill 20 holes in the concrete. The other option is a tarp and bags, but I hear many negatives on that too. We don't freeze much, plus I have freeze protection on the pump, so it will kick on. Sure, every year I will have to clean the leaves off, but it really hasn't been a big issue.

20x35 IG Grecian Sport Pool (4' x 5 1/2' x 4')
    1000' Sandstone Stamped Cocete
    Hayward SWG, DE Filter & Pro Logic LED
    3 deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Winter Pool Cover in TN?

If you don't mind cleaning off the leaves in winter, I see no big deal. I used a cheap tarp and water bags last year, and I'm doing the same again. Your biggest risk, I imagine like mine is losing power during a freeze. It happens seldom, or for very long here when it does, but it's a risk I'm willing to take to prevent winterizing. It's a pretty safe risk, and it takes quite a while for 2" lines to freeze solid.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr