Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: another leak question

1. Back To Top    #1

another leak question

I have three valves on my suction side, one for the main drain and one for each of the skimmers. I accidentally closed all three valves with the pump running for about a couple of seconds and then opened the valves back. Right after this, the pump is moving little water, like if it had a suction side leak. It's so bad that the pump basket isn't even close to filling up. Has anyone seen this happen before? Did I damage my valves?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: another leak question

The valves are likely just fine. Take a close look at the O-ring around your pump basket lid. With the valves closed, there is quite a bit of force trying to suck in water and it may have dislodged that O-ring.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i did take a look at the o-ring, reseated it and lubed it. I guess next step would be the screws in the basket. I will take a look at this tomorrow.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I found "the leak". I was vacuuming leaves and I forgot to put the basket in the skimmer so they ended up in the drain basket. I proceeded to touch the impeller and noticed that it was full of leaves. Once removed, the pump was back to normal.

5. Back To Top    #5

congrats
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........