Correct FC level before closing

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
The pool company is coming day after tomorrow to do my closing, and I'm getting the water chemistry right before they get here. I've read the stickies in this forum, but I'm just not quite clear on what to do with the FC level. Do I bring it up to shock level or to 50% of shock level? And then I leave it there and let it sit for the winter? (It will be covered, of course.) I don't have any plans to add Polyquat or other algaecide.

My FC right now is 3, CC is 0, pH is 7.5, and CYA is 40. I just added the last of the chlorine in a 2.5 gallon carboy, and I think that's enough to raise the FC to about 10. I'll check that in the morning. Shock level is 16, so I'm going to be fairly close, but I also want this to last until March or April. I can pick up some gallons of bleach at Walmart tonight if necessary.

Hi,
the winterizing instructions in Pool School have worked very well.

Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

The pool company is coming day after tomorrow to do my closing, and I'm getting the water chemistry right before they get here. I've read the stickies in this forum, but I'm just not quite clear on what to do with the FC level. Do I bring it up to shock level or to 50% of shock level? And then I leave it there and let it sit for the winter? (It will be covered, of course.) I don't have any plans to add Polyquat or other algaecide.

My FC right now is 3, CC is 0, pH is 7.5, and CYA is 40. I just added the last of the chlorine in a 2.5 gallon carboy, and I think that's enough to raise the FC to about 10. I'll check that in the morning. Shock level is 16, so I'm going to be fairly close, but I also want this to last until March or April. I can pick up some gallons of bleach at Walmart tonight if necessary.

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave. I don't know how I missed that article! I'll bring it up to shock level as soon as possible.

The pool is brand new this summer and I haven't had a speck of algae yet thanks to this forum, so I want to do everything I can to keep it that way and open it up clean and clear in the spring. Wish me luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.