Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Correct FC level before closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Correct FC level before closing

The pool company is coming day after tomorrow to do my closing, and I'm getting the water chemistry right before they get here. I've read the stickies in this forum, but I'm just not quite clear on what to do with the FC level. Do I bring it up to shock level or to 50% of shock level? And then I leave it there and let it sit for the winter? (It will be covered, of course.) I don't have any plans to add Polyquat or other algaecide.

My FC right now is 3, CC is 0, pH is 7.5, and CYA is 40. I just added the last of the chlorine in a 2.5 gallon carboy, and I think that's enough to raise the FC to about 10. I'll check that in the morning. Shock level is 16, so I'm going to be fairly close, but I also want this to last until March or April. I can pick up some gallons of bleach at Walmart tonight if necessary.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Correct FC level before closing

Hi,
    the winterizing instructions in Pool School have worked very well.

Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    The pool company is coming day after tomorrow to do my closing, and I'm getting the water chemistry right before they get here. I've read the stickies in this forum, but I'm just not quite clear on what to do with the FC level. Do I bring it up to shock level or to 50% of shock level? And then I leave it there and let it sit for the winter? (It will be covered, of course.) I don't have any plans to add Polyquat or other algaecide.

My FC right now is 3, CC is 0, pH is 7.5, and CYA is 40. I just added the last of the chlorine in a 2.5 gallon carboy, and I think that's enough to raise the FC to about 10. I'll check that in the morning. Shock level is 16, so I'm going to be fairly close, but I also want this to last until March or April. I can pick up some gallons of bleach at Walmart tonight if necessary.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply, Dave. I don't know how I missed that article! I'll bring it up to shock level as soon as possible.

The pool is brand new this summer and I haven't had a speck of algae yet thanks to this forum, so I want to do everything I can to keep it that way and open it up clean and clear in the spring. Wish me luck!
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Maestro,

Its great to hear another positive comment on how well TFP works!

Good Luck to ya!
    Lets hope you have a troubelfree opening come springtime!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!