The pool company is coming day after tomorrow to do my closing, and I'm getting the water chemistry right before they get here. I've read the stickies in this forum, but I'm just not quite clear on what to do with the FC level. Do I bring it up to shock level or to 50% of shock level? And then I leave it there and let it sit for the winter? (It will be covered, of course.) I don't have any plans to add Polyquat or other algaecide.
My FC right now is 3, CC is 0, pH is 7.5, and CYA is 40. I just added the last of the chlorine in a 2.5 gallon carboy, and I think that's enough to raise the FC to about 10. I'll check that in the morning. Shock level is 16, so I'm going to be fairly close, but I also want this to last until March or April. I can pick up some gallons of bleach at Walmart tonight if necessary.