Pool Deck Paint over Acrylic

ggo36

Jul 6, 2013
It's time to re-paint an 18 year old pool deck. The current deck paint is Acrylic based, & has worn or chipped.
What Brand of Decking paint will cover existing Acrylic? thanks..

We have tried 2 different kinds of paint we bought from Lowes to try to just patch the bad areas....they recommended some Valspar 'porch/deck or floor LATEX SATIN paint. The colors were matched really good when 'wet', but when it dried one color when too dark & the last one turned 'green' over the original 'beige'. Obviously LATEX is not the answer. Thanks...

I have never seen any paint that is good over concrete long term :( My sister tried it and it was worse than bad.

You will need to get the old paint up THEN think about staining it. That is what worked for her. It was a LOT of work with okay results.

Kim

Thanks for your response.....We are in Mesquite, NV & I just discovered the company (Hi-Tech Coatings) that created our beautiful textured patio & pool deck is in St. George, UT only 37 miles away. I didn't think they were still in business. Hopefully they will answer my email. Another blogger had told me the only hope was to remove 1263 sq. ft. covering & just stain the concrete. I knew there was an easier way. Wish you were here because the colors look perfect from Top coat sealer looks perfect.. Thanks again.

Hi Kim....hope you can see the answer to my Acrylic paint problem. Check my ggo36 threads & read the response from 'chiefwej'.
He knows what I need & made two suggestions.... We are in Mesquite, NV but can order from AZ or a Distributor in UT ...Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Re: Pool Deck Paint over Acrylic

Hi Kim....hope you can see the answer to my Acrylic paint problem. Check my ggo36 threads & read the response from 'chiefwej'.
He knows what I need & made two suggestions.... We are in Mesquite, NV but can order from AZ or a Distributor in UT ...Thanks for your help.

I've had a textured acrylic deck for over ten years and it's held up great. It was beginning to look a bit faded so this year I put a new color top coat on it. I think it was about $150 for a five gallon pail and a day's work with a paint roller. I spent a day power washing and caulking cracks beforehand. It looks as good or better than the day it was finished.

I'm pretty sure the same finish is what is referred to a " spray deck" in other areas. I don't know how it would handle the freeze/thaw of northern climates, but it holds up really well with desert heat. The key to maintaining it is keeping it sealed so that moisture doesn't get under it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.