Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Deck Paint over Acrylic

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Deck Paint over Acrylic

It's time to re-paint an 18 year old pool deck. The current deck paint is Acrylic based, & has worn or chipped.
    What Brand of Decking paint will cover existing Acrylic? thanks..
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Intex Ultra Frame 16x48
    5300 Gallons-3/4hp Doheny's Pump-16" Hayward Sand Filter-Hayward Skimmer and return.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Deck Paint over Acrylic

what is your deck made of?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    what is your deck made of?

Kim
    The Pool is Gunite, therefore the decking is concrete with an Acrylic top coat. Thanks
    Intex Ultra Frame 16x48
    5300 Gallons-3/4hp Doheny's Pump-16" Hayward Sand Filter-Hayward Skimmer and return.

4. Back To Top    #4

We have tried 2 different kinds of paint we bought from Lowes to try to just patch the bad areas....they recommended some Valspar 'porch/deck or floor LATEX SATIN paint. The colors were matched really good when 'wet', but when it dried one color when too dark & the last one turned 'green' over the original 'beige'. Obviously LATEX is not the answer. Thanks...
    Intex Ultra Frame 16x48

5. Back To Top    #5

I have never seen any paint that is good over concrete long term My sister tried it and it was worse than bad.

You will need to get the old paint up THEN think about staining it. That is what worked for her. It was a LOT of work with okay results.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

If what you have is a textured acrylic finish, it needs to be finished with acrylic color top coat. I don't know where you are located, but here in AZ there are a couple companies.

Xcel Surfaces Top Coat
    Top Coat Color Sealer | Pref Deck
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your response.....We are in Mesquite, NV & I just discovered the company (Hi-Tech Coatings) that created our beautiful textured patio & pool deck is in St. George, UT only 37 miles away. I didn't think they were still in business. Hopefully they will answer my email. Another blogger had told me the only hope was to remove 1263 sq. ft. covering & just stain the concrete. I knew there was an easier way. Wish you were here because the colors look perfect from Top coat sealer looks perfect.. Thanks again.
    Intex Ultra Frame 16x48

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Kim....hope you can see the answer to my Acrylic paint problem. Check my ggo36 threads & read the response from 'chiefwej'.
    He knows what I need & made two suggestions.... We are in Mesquite, NV but can order from AZ or a Distributor in UT ...Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kim....hope you can see the answer to my Acrylic paint problem. Check my ggo36 threads & read the response from 'chiefwej'.
    He knows what I need & made two suggestions.... We are in Mesquite, NV but can order from AZ or a Distributor in UT ...Thanks for your help.
    Intex Ultra Frame 16x48

9. Back To Top    #9

I hope it works. I wonder how much it costs? I will have to tell my sister and see if it can/is done here.

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I've had a textured acrylic deck for over ten years and it's held up great. It was beginning to look a bit faded so this year I put a new color top coat on it. I think it was about $150 for a five gallon pail and a day's work with a paint roller. I spent a day power washing and caulking cracks beforehand. It looks as good or better than the day it was finished.

I'm pretty sure the same finish is what is referred to a " spray deck" in other areas. I don't know how it would handle the freeze/thaw of northern climates, but it holds up really well with desert heat. The key to maintaining it is keeping it sealed so that moisture doesn't get under it.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit