Last year I used a winterizing kit and cover.
I think the winter chemicals skyrocketed my Calcium, don't have stats handy, but went from 100-ish to 350-ish.
I opened too late also and had a bad algae problem, the pros here and my TF100 helped fix it!
This year i'm thinking of keeping it open instead to see how that works instead.
I live in San Diego, so i don't think we're in danger of freezing, we've had very light frost in the past, but i doubt enough to freeze a pipe or pump.
I've read the 2 stickies about closing, but i still have a few questions hopefully somebody can help with..
1. What CYA level should I target before closing?
2. Do i still need to bring it to shock level one last time or am I OK maintaining the normal FC level from the CYA/FC chart?
3. I plan on covering it to keep it clean, but wondering how often I should clean the walls durning the winter?
4. How often/long should the pool filter run?
- Should I use the timer and do 2-4 hours nightly? Or does it need daily filtering at this point?
Just ready the post on deep cleaning the sand filter too, will be doing that next spring!