Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing suggestions???

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing suggestions???

Last year I used a winterizing kit and cover.
    I think the winter chemicals skyrocketed my Calcium, don't have stats handy, but went from 100-ish to 350-ish.
    I opened too late also and had a bad algae problem, the pros here and my TF100 helped fix it!

This year i'm thinking of keeping it open instead to see how that works instead.
    I live in San Diego, so i don't think we're in danger of freezing, we've had very light frost in the past, but i doubt enough to freeze a pipe or pump.

I've read the 2 stickies about closing, but i still have a few questions hopefully somebody can help with..

1. What CYA level should I target before closing?
    2. Do i still need to bring it to shock level one last time or am I OK maintaining the normal FC level from the CYA/FC chart?
    3. I plan on covering it to keep it clean, but wondering how often I should clean the walls durning the winter?
    4. How often/long should the pool filter run?
    - Should I use the timer and do 2-4 hours nightly? Or does it need daily filtering at this point?

Just ready the post on deep cleaning the sand filter too, will be doing that next spring!

Thanks folks!
    3300 Gallon Vinyl Intex AG Pool. 15'x 3' Round. 2100 GPH Intex Sand Filter/Pump.
    Installed summer of 2014. TF100 Testkit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing suggestions???

Give us your current test results and we can go from there.

3. Back To Top    #3

A little feedback about your questions above:
    1. Maintain the recommend 30-50 CYA range
    2. No. Since you are not actually closing your pool like those up north, just continue to monitor chemical levels normally; obviously the FC usage will drop significantly as the water temp drops
    3. Really up to you based on the colder water temp and what you feel like doing; you may get by with running a brush around one every 2-4 weeks; if you see more build-up, brush as needed
    4. Run long enough to pull any surface debris into your skimmer and/or mix chemicals; if you expect a rare freeze morning, let it run to keep water moving

When the water temp drops below 60, your pool will really begin to go into a hibernation mode of sorts. Our pools will be much alike in that they will be open but won't need much attention. It's still good to give them a little "TLC" on a nice cool/brisk day. Chemical usage/testing will slow down considerably. You can run the pump occasionally, but it won't need to be ran nearly as often. And it's always a good idea to remove any significant debris from the pool just so it doesn't get stagnant. Hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, results today

Water Temp = 65
    FC=2.5
    CC=0
    PH=7.8
    TA+130
    CYA=15-20
    CH=425

It rained about an inch in the pool last night (didn't have it covered) Does that skew my results any?
    Also, since i do have a dark cover I'm putting back on, should i still raise CYA to 40?
    Does it need CYA if it's not getting direct sunlight?

Thanks folks!
    3300 Gallon Vinyl Intex AG Pool. 15'x 3' Round. 2100 GPH Intex Sand Filter/Pump.
    Installed summer of 2014. TF100 Testkit.