Black Mulch Dye in Pool

Nov 1, 2015
Houston, TX
We recently had some landscaping done and used black mulch, thinking it would look nice. A few days later we had a heavy rain and the backyard floored. The black dye from the mulch ran into the pool. Now the entire pool is black! We have been running the filter for 36 hours but it hasn't seemed to help. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the dye out, other than to drain the pool?

I would start with contacting the manufacturer of the mulch and ask what the chemical composition of the dye is.

It looks like the dye might be carbon black. No idea about removal.

Thanks JamesW. I had the mulch done by a landscaper. I have sent him a message asking for the source of the mulch so I can contact them to determine the nature of the dye. My most immediate concern is the dye discoloring the finish on the pool. I have also contacted the pool builder (pool is only 10 months old) to get their help, particularly if it has to be drained.

No help here but just throwing ideas out.............

-get a bucket full and put bleach in to see what happens

-See if the paper towel will "filter" it out. cup of water poured over a papertowel in a strainer into a clear containor.

-Floc?? Now sure if this would help since it is dye.

-cotton batting like they do for iron filtering? Do a search to see how they do it.

I hope you get it cleared up fast! :(

Kim

This is my life at the moment. Had new landscaping installed that supposedly would prevent this. Had our first real rain yesterday and I came home scared as my pool was black!

Hopefully my filter will take care of it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.