Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Mulch Dye in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Mulch Dye in Pool

We recently had some landscaping done and used black mulch, thinking it would look nice. A few days later we had a heavy rain and the backyard floored. The black dye from the mulch ran into the pool. Now the entire pool is black! We have been running the filter for 36 hours but it hasn't seemed to help. Does anyone know if there is a way to get the dye out, other than to drain the pool?
    20,000 gal concrete pool, pebble finish, Hayward cartridge filter, Variable speed pump. Regular 3" chlorine tab dispenser, natural gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Mulch Dye in Pool

I would start with contacting the manufacturer of the mulch and ask what the chemical composition of the dye is.

It looks like the dye might be carbon black. No idea about removal.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JamesW. I had the mulch done by a landscaper. I have sent him a message asking for the source of the mulch so I can contact them to determine the nature of the dye. My most immediate concern is the dye discoloring the finish on the pool. I have also contacted the pool builder (pool is only 10 months old) to get their help, particularly if it has to be drained.
    20,000 gal concrete pool, pebble finish, Hayward cartridge filter, Variable speed pump. Regular 3" chlorine tab dispenser, natural gas heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

No help here but just throwing ideas out.............

-get a bucket full and put bleach in to see what happens

-See if the paper towel will "filter" it out. cup of water poured over a papertowel in a strainer into a clear containor.

-Floc?? Now sure if this would help since it is dye.

-cotton batting like they do for iron filtering? Do a search to see how they do it.

I hope you get it cleared up fast!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe Pool First Aid by Natural Chemistry might work?

6. Back To Top    #6

I had tons of new "dark brown" mulch in my pool twice. (Bad drainage here...). Both times it cleared within a day or two. Hope you have the same results!

7. Back To Top    #7

This is my life at the moment. Had new landscaping installed that supposedly would prevent this. Had our first real rain yesterday and I came home scared as my pool was black!

Hopefully my filter will take care of it!
    31' x 37'6" - 589SF - 155' perimeter - 3.5-5.5 deep - Geometric IG Gunite SWG- 14,463 Gallons - 2 bubblers - 4 deck jets - 7'x7' 12" raised infinity spa - Jandy VS 2HP Pump - Jandy 580SF cartridge - Polaris 280 max - 400k BTU Heater - 3 LED lights & 1 20W Nichless LED - 2 Venturi Turbo Skimmers - 6 returns - Autofill - 987SF Travertine Dark Walnut decking - WetEdge Antigua - TF100 - My Build Thread