Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Floc troubles

1. Back To Top    #1

Floc troubles

Just finished the floc process. It worked fine it appears, But I am having trouble vacuuming without stirring it up from the bottom. I have an above ground pool, and I am set up to vacuum to waste. Is there a truck to getting the vacuum primed for proper suction without stirring up the settled particles?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Floc troubles

What's floc? We don't use stuff like that around here. Have no real need for it, except in very special cases of ground water getting into pool.

If I had to guess, you might be better to set up a whirlpool first, so all the stuff collects in the center of the pool. That way you have a better chance of getting it before it gets to drifting around.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Floc was used after shock/algicide. I think the way it works is that it causes the particles to clump together. It ends up that there are small clusters all over the bottom of the pool. The problem is that they are easily disturbed and once that happens you have to wait did them to settle again to vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by DT2760 View Post
    Floc was used after shock/algicide. I think the way it works is that it causes the particles to clump together. It ends up that there are small clusters all over the bottom of the pool. The problem is that they are easily disturbed and once that happens you have to wait did them to settle again to vacuum.
    Vacuum to waste and slide vacuum (back and forth) slowly so it barely moves. Fast movement could be causing the disturbance. Make sure there is sufficient suction to remove the clusters. Moving forward it is recommended the use of liquid bleach only.

You may have to repeat the process a few times until you remove everything off the floor. I believe there are residual side effects of FLOC and that is any dead matte (like algae) settles to the floor and is not picked up by the filter, etc. for a few days or weeks. This happened to a friend.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Since you said that it worked for you, I'd suggest you hook up the vacuum and get it primed and then shut off the pump with the vacuum still hooked up and in the water and wait until the stuff has settled again and then restart the pump and move the vacuum slowly, very slowly.

By the way, you are using a manual vacuum, aren't you. An automatic vacuum won't work very well for vacuuming floc off the floor.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit