Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering Filter/Pump Vs Storing

1. Back To Top    #1

Covering Filter/Pump Vs Storing

Is it OK to leave the pump and filter out as long as it's covered during the winter?

This is my first year closing my AGP by myself and I'm just trying to figure out what the best/safest method would be. It looks like there's a wired connection on the pump that seems to be prohibiting me from disconnecting that and storing it. We've stored the filter in previous years and went through the hassle of cleaning all the sand out and everything but after reading on here, it seems like that is unnecessary and that all you need to do is drain the water from the filter and that's it. Pop a cover on it and it should be good. Am I overlooking something?
    10K GAL, AGP Vinyl, Pentair Sand Dollar (SD40) filter, Pentair Dyanamo High Performance Pump (DYNIIN1-1)
    HP 1.50 SPL, Kreepy Krauly Lil Shark Pool Vacuum, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Long Island NY

Re: Covering Filter/Pump Vs Storing

I always disconnect my pump and put it in a place that doesn't freeze. Mine is easy to do and since there's a little water in it I just don't want to take a chance it freezing and breaking something.

My sand filter, I just remove the drain plug and losen the plug on top and let it drain and that's it. I take off my pressure guage also and store with the pump.

If it can freeze where you are and there's still water in the pump , there's a good chance you could damage something I would think. At the least if you can't remove it, try to get the water out and put some pool antifreeze in it. ( not auto antifreeze ) and then cover it up real good.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover