Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How concerned with Saturation Index should I be?

1. Back To Top    #1

How concerned with Saturation Index should I be?

I just completed my weekly level check (K2006) and came up with the following results:

FC 7
    PH 7.4
    TA 50
    CH 180
    CYA 80
    Salt 3500 ppm

Plugging my numbers into the PoolMatch calculator I come up with a SI -1.12. Reading the Taylor manual, this is bad. Now that the water temperatures have dropped that number has gotten out of hand. Should I be concerned with the SI?

Thanks!
    Last edited by HamSammich; 10-31-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added Salt
    -Chris-
    26.5K gal, Lazy L Vinyl, 1-1/2 HP SuperFlo VS pump, EasyTouch 4, Clean and Clear 320 sqft cartridge filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin M400, Taylor K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How concerned with Saturation Index should I be?

Keep in mind they are looking at the water being corrosive to plaster pool finishes. You did not report a salt level. Are you using your SWG? When you plug your numbers into Poolmath be sure you have it set up for a vinyl pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ahh yes. Forgot about that. Salt added.
    -Chris-
    26.5K gal, Lazy L Vinyl, 1-1/2 HP SuperFlo VS pump, EasyTouch 4, Clean and Clear 320 sqft cartridge filter, IntelliChlor IC40 SWG, Dolphin M400, Taylor K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

You should probably add calcium to get that number closer to recommended levels.
    You could also add baking soda to raise your TA if that's a lower level than you usually maintain.
    Those changes would make the water more balanced.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

No need to add calcium to a vinyl liner pool. The TA is fine if your ph stays good. If the ph drops below 7.4, I would raise the TA to about 60 ppm, otherwise I would leave it alone.

6. Back To Top    #6

My bad. I read a follow-up post that mentioned plaster and missed the listing of vinyl in the signature. Definitely wrong advice.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.