Pool Closing got put off for personal reasons and just now getting around to it

Jun 14, 2014
Aberdeen,MD
So as the title suggests I had started the closing process about a month ago but ran into some issues and was unable to proceed. I skimmed all the leaves and pine needles off of the top this morning and have tried as best I can to skim the bottom of the pool to rid the needles and leaves as well. The water is balanced for the most part because I had brought to shock level a few times back when I started. FC is at 1.0ppm which should be fine now with how cold it has been. The water level is at the bottom of the skimmer, so I'm wondering if it is worthwhile adding water at this point in order to vacuum out the remaining debris or just live with it and worry about it when I re-open in the spring?

Also, does the water level truly need to be 6" below the skimmer or can it be level with the bottom of the skimmer. If it needs to be, what do people recommend as the best method for doing so? Is the method of running part of the vacuum hose into the pool, filling it with water, and feeding it into the skimmer while running a garden hose into the skimmer to pump some water in the best way to go?

Much appreciated!

Since you have an above ground pool, plugging the skimmer and the return should be fine. I would close as is and do whatever cleanup was needed in the spring. Do have hoses or hard pipes for plumbing? If you have hoses then all you really need to do is take them off the pool and leave the skimmer and return open. Then snow and rain can drain out the openings.

Since you have an above ground pool, plugging the skimmer and the return should be fine. I would close as is and do whatever cleanup was needed in the spring. Do have hoses or hard pipes for plumbing? If you have hoses then all you really need to do is take them off the pool and leave the skimmer and return open. Then snow and rain can drain out the openings.
Yes of course I have hoses for the plumbing to the filter and return. What do you mean by leaving them open for rain or snow? My pool will be covered so that shouldn't make a difference I wouldn't think, right?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Some people cover and some do not. Some use the covers with mesh panels that let snow melt through. Quite a few people hard plumb their above ground pools, and the procedure for closing a hard plumbed pool is a little different depending on whether the plumbing has unions or not. I try not to assume I know everything about a member's pool when I offer advice, so sometimes I ask questions that may seem kind of dumb. :) Since you have hoses and a cover it won't matter if you plug the return and skimmer or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.