Hydrogen peroxide effect on filter sand and on solar pool heating pipes

I have been advised to use hydrogen peroxide to dissolve some black metal stains in my fibreglass pool especially the vertical walls as these are difficult to clean with granular cleaning materials. I have solar heating pipes, and also a brand new aqua swim sand filter from speck. I have received conflicting advice as to how long I must leave it, whether it degrades to a harmless material, whether the pool should be circulating and how long it takes to degrade so that can one use it again, and whether it damages the sand or indeed sand filter and associated parts or the solar heating pipes. Some clarity would be most welcome, thank you

Baquacil pools use hydrogen peroxide. There's no problem as long as the level is not too high. However, I don't think that it would help with metal stains. What metal is causing the stains?

Typically, ascorbic acid is the best choice followed by a good sequestrant.

Can you post all chemical levels?

I use blue 52 in the pool instead of chlorine, but it turns out too much chemical was used for the size of the pool, and I use WellPoint water in western cape which has quite a lot of minerals anyway so I'm told it is iron deposits that are causing the black stains. I don't have exact levels I'm afraid

Most likely, the black is due to copper stains. The blue 52 looks like an all-in-one combo product like ez pool. I would recommend moving away from that product to avoid the types of problems you're having.

Try some ascorbic acid on a test spot to see if the black disappears.

If the Ascorbic acid does not lift the stains (it doesn't work as well on copper as it does for iron stains) then you can look into products from Jack's Magic. They make an entire line of stain identification and removal products. Many TFP forum users have had success with their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.