Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Swap

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Swap

I'm in the process of replacing some water to lower CYA from 80. I'm trying the pump on top, hose on the bottom method. After about 30 minutes the FC coming out of the pump is unchanged, so it is working so far.

8200g IG, Diamond Brite Plaster, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Pentair Pump, TF-100, Rainbow 320 Inline Tab Chlorinator [not used]

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Swap

Sounds like a good plan!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water Swap

Well, that was completely unsuccessful. My hose only outputs 5 g/m, which means after a little over 4 hours I only exchanged 1300 gallons of water. Because the rate was so slow, and the relative temperatures pretty close, I think I was getting much more mixing than I anticipated. Results:

Before:
    FC/CC: 8.0/0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 80
    CH: 400
    CYA: 70

After:
    FC/CC: 6.5/0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 90
    CH: 400
    CYA: 70

Had I actually exchanged 1300 gallons of water, I should have ended up with a CH of 350 (given my tap CH) and a CYA of 60. Even then, I'd be a long way from my target CYA of 40, which would let me do my daily testing with the OTO vs. the FAS-DPD. Oddly enough, the FC drop was withing 0.5 of what I expected (our tap water has an FC of 1), but maybe some of that was due to the pump, weight, hose, etc.
    8200g IG, Diamond Brite Plaster, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Pentair Pump, TF-100, Rainbow 320 Inline Tab Chlorinator [not used]