Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommend a test strip for quick testing between regular testings?

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommend a test strip for quick testing between regular testings?

Are test strips ok for quick testing daily for FC/PH, and then testing maybe twice a week with tf-100/k-2006 for CH, TA, and more accurate FC result? Can you recommend a good one?

Also how often should CYA test be done?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommend a test strip for quick testing between regular testings?

Knowing what I know now from TFP, I'll never touch another test strip. Simply too unreliable. In a pinch for FC, some will rely on the handy OTO test for a quick snapshot of FC, then use the FAS-DPD for more accurate results every couple days or more. pH testing is easy with the 5 drops and comparator view, so I'd stick with that. As for how often to test CYA, I do mine at the start of the season then monthly thereafter. I might test more frequently if there was a heavy turnover of water or something usual in my FC consumption. You can see the TFP breakdown here at Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule.

Hope that helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good info, thanks!

4. Back To Top    #4

test strips are notoroiusly wrong.
    If you were to get a TF100 kit, it includes a OTO chlorine test which is what we recommend to use on a regular basis when you know you dont need to use the FAS-DPD chlorine test.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Recommend a test strip for quick testing between regular testings?

CYA does not need to be measured regularly unless you experience significant water exchanges. I test my CYA only once per month in the swim season. During the off season, I test it maybe once.

As for routine quick testing, either use the OTO drops in the TF-100 or, as I did, purchase a K-1002 test kit that uses the R-0001 & R-0002 DPD reagents for FC testing. I prefer the pink color of the DPD and it truly measures FC unlike the OTO drops which measures TC. If you want to measure CCs with the K-1002, you simply add 5 drops of the R-0003 reagent from your TF-100 and then the test color reads TC. In my opinion, the K-1002 is superior to the OTO for quick routine testing.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The TF-100 kit includes the Taylor k1000 Basic Test Kit which is perfect for your daily quick test. Open your little blue box, quick dip in the pool to fill the test block, five drops each side, and your done, a lot more accurate than any strip and takes no more time.

I do the k1000 (TC and pH) daily.
    Weekly, I add FAS-DP (which gives me FC,CC and TC) and the TA test
    I only do CH and CYA tests about once a month, since those values change very slowly.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I only test twice a week or so now, especially heading into cooler weather. Once I learned my pool I know about how much CL it loses per day. If my normal min-max is 4-8 PPM I bring it to around 10 and then it drifts down over a few days to 5-6, margin for error. Same for PH and TA. Keep my TA low which has helped with CSI (high CH water) and stabilized the PH rise also (as recommended in some threads).

Am I missing something? Is there a reason for almost daily testing?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Kl
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I only test twice a week or so now, especially heading into cooler weather. Once I learned my pool I know about how much CL it loses per day. If my normal min-max is 4-8 PPM I bring it to around 10 and then it drifts down over a few days to 5-6, margin for error. Same for PH and TA. Keep my TA low which has helped with CSI (high CH water) and stabilized the PH rise also (as recommended in some threads).

Am I missing something? Is there a reason for almost daily testing?
    Daily testing during the season, but as the temp of the water drops you can begin to test less often.

With the high evaporation rate combined with high CH and TA in Tucson water, keeping a low TA (and balanced CSI) can become difficult. I would use acid and aeration to lower it but with the evaporation, the fill water with high TA would bring it back up. So in order to further stabilize my constant rising pH (due to the SWG) I've added borates. It does help.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Kl

Daily testing during the season, but as the temp of the water drops you can begin to test less often.

With the high evaporation rate combined with high CH and TA in Tucson water, keeping a low TA (and balanced CSI) can become difficult. I would use acid and aeration to lower it but with the evaporation, the fill water with high TA would bring it back up. So in order to further stabilize my constant rising pH (due to the SWG) I've added borates. It does help.
    Tested my Oro Valley water once, I think CH was around 120. Never measure TA nor re-measured CH as I figure there is not much I can do about it other than take advantage of the better rainfall this autumn,
    Don't have a SWG so I could see why with one you might need to measure more often. I also have become comfortable with numbers in a range rather than spot on all the time. TA 50-70, PH 7.2-7.8 always wary of the CSI balance between the two. MY TA does not tend to drift upwards, more likely my PH drifts up and I have to add baking soda when I bring the PH down or it lowers TA too low.
    FC or 5-11 PPM.
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Too low TA has never been my problem, I struggle to keep it below 100. Interesting that we have such different issues. I'm on Marana's water system, so maybe the levels are that different. Better stop this before we are cited for threadjuacking.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ