Mid - 1980's Niche Lights - How to Convert?

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
I have two of these relics - one each in pool and spa - trying to turn on either trips the circuit breaker.

These appear to be line voltage (yes, 120 vac under water). I pulled the 4" spa light to see how it worked (and maybe make it actually work).
I didn't learn much, and it still doesn't work.

Are there products which can easily be placed in these old lights - a direct, disconnect the wires, pull the light, cut cord and stick in shiny new battery-powered, remote-controlled fixture?

I am aware of no battery powered lights as replacements for in ground pool lights. There are low voltage lights.

The bulbs may be burnt out ( rather doubt it). That involves removing the fixture (which you did) taking the fixture apart and replacing the bulb. There are plenty of videos on youtube that describe this procedure. Watch 3 or 4 and you should be able to do it with a screwdriver and moderate mechanical skill.

The fixture may be bad. There may be a problem at the junction box or with the switch that controls the light. All should be looked at. If you need to replace the fixture they come with the cord attached. There are several threads on here about replacing fixtures. Generally you want to cut the old cord at the light and use the old cord to pull the new cord from the niche to the junction box. Depending on the condition of the conduit pulling the cord from the niche to the junction box will be simple or difficult.

You can do all of this yourself or call a pool service. Sacramento has plenty of those. PM me if you want a couple of names.

Thanks for the response and tip!

The wire on the spa light was a very thick, insulated wire that looked as large as the conduit (1/2") - I suspect it was run into the conduit before the conduit was bent and installed.
Trying to pull it would be a nightmare.
The metal of the niche was badly corroded - I have no idea why.

There is a tile on the pool stairs identifying the pool builder - it is no longer in operation. There are several 'cut corners' on the job which suggest why it is no longer in business.
To be completely fair, this pool is way too large for the yard - whoever had it built probably insisted on some of the stunts pulled.

Looks like this will wait until a re-plaster - I am not going to try pulling wires (even after flooding the conduit with oil) without a complete drain of the system.

So much for a quick and simple, eh?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.