Balancing help

Oct 28, 2015
Dudley, Ga
Hello! I'm a newbie, first house with a pool. Some previous experience helping to manage our local pool (6 or so families as members). Current pool is a SWG. Started out the week with FC 0, CC .02, Ph 7.2, Alk 60, CYA 17, Salt 3350. Set SWG to 80% and added around 6 gal liquid bleach 6% plus 4 trichlor tablets. FC has been creeping up and is now around 2, CC 0.28, Ph 7.3, Alk 70, CYA 33, Salt 3350. Borates are, and have been, zero. Pump is set to run from 0100-0600 with Polaris running from 0400-0600.

With the CC just above "allowable" levels, do I need to SLAM? Also, what's the best way to increase my Ph to 7.5 without also increasing alkalinity? CYA is still on the low side, but I'm hoping the tablets will gradually correct that? Or should I order some granules/quick dissolve? Also, in some places I read borates are optional, others recommend them? My goal here is to get the water nice and balanced so that I can more or less "maintain" over the winter (planning to leave the pool "open", rarely gets cold enough here to warrant pulling drain plugs on the filter, etc., and our system has a temp sensor that is supposed to kick the pump on automatically if the temp drops below 38% (which I do plan to verify when the temps drop). When we bought the house, we inherited a mess: the previous owners had divorced and the wife had no clue about pool maintenance. It was cloudy, phosphates off the chart, zero chlorine, CYA non-existent, etc., etc., etc... It's now crystal clear and the levels are moving to the right direction, just need tweaked and this is where I could use your help!

The values above were from the pool store and verified with my K2005 test kit (it's what I was used to from previous experience. I've also ordered the DPD kit, should arrive this evening.). The only reason I even bother with the pool store testing is 1) it's free and 2) with my kit, I can get a general idea of where the CYA is but theirs gives a more precise number (that has, so far, been in line with what I've been reading). Thanks to you guys, I can decline their "suggestions" and have largely learned what to do via these forums, so Thank you!!!

Thanks in advance!

Hello newbie! Well, a few notes to get this thread started.... (rats ... Kim beat me to it) :)
- CYA is indeed low, especially for a SGW pool that should be around 70-80. That would be a big deal in the middle of summer. Approaching Nov when your FC consumption begins to drop, maybe not quite as critical if you don't lose a lot of FC each day. But be aware it is below the recommended level. Typically we advise the use the granular stabilizer to increase CYA. Tablets will raise CYA, but not as fast.
- Bump your FC up to the 3-5 range level for now for sanitation.
- Your CC is below the TFP .5ppm line, but if you ever have a suspicion about algae or needing to SLAM, perform an OCLT to confirm as Kim noted.
- pH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration.
And most importantly, try to invest in the proper test kit so you can do all the tests yourself. We've learned that the pool stores simply don't provide accurate, reliable testing on any given day. So actually your CYA could be much different than what they said, so be careful about that. Please see the TF-100 link below in my sig for assistance. I hope this helps. Have a nice evening.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
The only reason I even bother with the pool store testing is 1) it's free and 2) with my kit, I can get a general idea of where the CYA is but theirs gives a more precise number
Unfortunately, both bad reasons. Dependency or even paying attention or even standing in line for a pool store test is not worth "free"......what if that "free" advice and test results are wrong (and they commonly are)?

Secondly, if someone were to tell you your CYA was 35.612, that precision is worthless. CYA tests have no reason to be more precise than plus or minus 10 ppm and there is no one, repeat no one, who will do your CYA testing as dependably as you will.........you just have to be willing to do it.

Ok, after a TON of rain, etc., I think I'm settled. Here are my current results:FC 4CC 0.2Ph 7.4Alk 70CYA between 40-50Salt 3400 OCLT showed no change, no overnight lossI know I still need to bring the CYA up some. I bought some granular stabilizer and have been adding gradually. Any other suggestions?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a couple notes to make sure we're all on the same page okay? ......
- When you did your OCLT, was the SWG off? Also, were you at your "SLAM" FC level? The FC is supposed to be higher at the start of the OCLT to get an accurate result the next morning.
- In the future, please post your test results vertically as follows:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CYA
CH (N/A really for you)

Just makes it easier for us to read. We need all the help we can get. :) But other than the OCLT concern, your numbers look rather good.

Thank you! I apologize for the formatting. I posted from my tablet and *thought* it had taken it in vertical format. Looking at it now, I gave you guys a headache to read!

When I did the OCLT, chlorine levels were at 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine read 64 around 10:00 this morning. The next thing I have to figure out is how to turn it off. I have it "disabled", so it's not generating, but I'd like to turn it off altogether. Can't do it with the breaker as that particular one controls the main pump, as well. I saw a thread on here elsewhere about turning off the Pentair Intellichlor, so I'll hunt that up!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to tell everyone THANK YOU! We moved in in November and I have learned so much from this site. I've managed to keep my pool crystal clear and my chemistry within the recommended values for a SWG. Also, thanks to this forum, I took my salt cell off and cleaned it (moderate amount of scale, I'm sure it's never been cleaned in the three years it's been in use, so I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting!) AND deep cleaned the sand filter today. I can't say enough for all of the help and knowledge I've gotten from you guys: through being able to search for specific topics and educate myself, through the kind and insightful answers to my questions on threads AND through the kind and very helpful messages. So often, the kindnesses in life go unappreciated and I didn't want that to be the case. THANK YOU!!!

28k gal rectangular Inground vinyl pool, Pentair IntelliChlor C40 SWG, Pentair SandDollar SD80 filter, Pentair 1.5hp pump with a Pentair 3/4hp booster pump for the KreepyKrauly Legend. Using Taylor K2005 test kit with additional Taylor FAS/DPD kit and following the TFP maintenance method. Pool built 2013, new owner since 11/15. Pool care newbie.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.