Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump cover?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump cover?????

PB pulled permits and the city said they do a noise check, the pump can't be louder than 55dB at the property line otherwise I will need to put a sound reduction cover over the pump? Strange, 55 dB is talking level, I am thinking Plywood surround with sound proofing material glued to the inside. This will be a temporary "pass inspection thing" PB also said they will program the pump to run lower. Wow, whats' next.

Are there any pre-made products that do this?

thanks!
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pump cover?????

Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    PB pulled permits and the city said they do a noise check, the pump can't be louder than 55dB at the property line otherwise I will need to put a sound reduction cover over the pump? Strange, 55 dB is talking level, I am thinking Plywood surround with sound proofing material glued to the inside. This will be a temporary "pass inspection thing" PB also said they will program the pump to run lower. Wow, whats' next.

Are there any pre-made products that do this?

thanks!
    when we are talking about dB , we usually have to define where is 0dB level ? surrounding noise at certain times, days ? where is the reference in term of sound ?

3. Back To Top    #3

55db is lower than talking level which is 60db. Some questions and thoughts: How far would the pump be from the property line? If your getting a VS pump, most of them are very quiet at mid to low speeds. Mine is packed up for the winter so i cant measure the DB's at diff speeds. there are free DB apps for iPhones that you can use to measure the base db at the property line and most likely it will be 55db or more.
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

I use those foam rubber mats sold at hardware stores for flooring in workshops which have a scalloped edge meant for interlocking multiple mats together. This is mostly for sun shade in the Sonoran desert, because we have a ton of UV which tends to degrade all manner of plastics - less so for sound deadening, but it would work for that. You could build a box out of the foam rubber mats with 2 sides open (bottom & back) and then place this over the pump. Since it's only 1" thick neoprene rubber, they're easy to cut holes and slots to allow fitment around any plumbing, and should drop the dB level considerably. Looks like this;

Be mindful of airflow, however - the pump needs fresh cool air to help cool the motor brushes and windings. Most have internal fans to move air, but recirculating hot air wouldn't do it any good.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks! If I have to use a box, it's only staying one until the inspector leaves. I think we should be okay dropping the RPM down.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I can hardly hear my two-speed on low standing next to it. High is another story however.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

We should be ok.

8. Back To Top    #8

db is always referenced 1 yard from the source