Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pumping off the winter cover with a fountain pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Pumping off the winter cover with a fountain pump

This is my first year closing a pool and I am still learning what will work best for my pool. With all the leaves I know I have to get a leaf net next year. I bought a 264 GPH fountain pump at Harbor Freight for around 12.00. It comes with various fittings and works quite well. I took a plastic gallon jug and drilled a lot of holes in it. Putting the fountain pump in the gallon jug and then submerging it in the water keeps the leaves from clogging up the pump. A couple of smooth round rocks in the container also keeps it weighed down. Attachment 43696Attachment 43698
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pumping off the winter cover with a fountain pump

Interesting. So you just place this on top of your cover to prevent it from accumulating excess water and collapsing? Do you ever anticipate any problems with freezing?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is not an automatic left out there forever pump. Just drag it out and use it to get the excess water off when needed. We are definitively expecting freezing here. I would post before and after pictures of the pool but have reached my maximum allowed photos.

4. Back To Top    #4

Understood. Certainly a lot more convenient to plug that thing in during bad weather as opposed to manual labor. Nice idea.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah ha, photo bucket - Before pumping the water off:

After pumping the water off:

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, certainly a big difference.