Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I turn my pump off? Bad Weather

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I turn my pump off? Bad Weather

We are having rain and wind so things are blowing into the pool. Should I turn the filter off? Thanks
    Laurie - Houston, TX 12,000 gallons, Rectangular Saltwater IG Pool, Pebble, Hayward pump installed by unknown 2011, ProLogic Automation and Chlorination/Aqua Logic Wireless Remote, Hayward Tiger Shark, Taylor K-2006 (on its way) DE filter Hayward.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I turn my pump off? Bad Weather

We just got hit as well. Not really a big need to turn things off just because of wind and rain, although if you're concerned about lightening or electrical surges, you certainly can. Remember, your pump doesn't need to run all the time anyways, so as long as you're not in the middle of a SLAM, giving your pump a short break won't hurt anything.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks

Laurie - Houston, TX 12,000 gallons, Rectangular Saltwater IG Pool, Pebble, Hayward pump installed by unknown 2011, ProLogic Automation and Chlorination/Aqua Logic Wireless Remote, Hayward Tiger Shark, Taylor K-2006 (on its way) DE filter Hayward.

4. Back To Top    #4

You might want it off but not because of a surge....which would probably only be harmful if the pump is a variable speed without surge protection.

Last year I had just finished cleaning my pool and a wind storm began....a TON of dead arborvidae pieces went into the pool....it covered
    the surface nearly 100%....like an idiot I kept running my pump anyway....well I had to clear the skimmer every 10 minutes because it
    would fill then cause a vortex starving the pump. In hindsight I should have just turned off the pump then cleaned all that debris out later.

lesson learned.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Arborvidae ..... I had to look that one up.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    You might want it off but not because of a surge....which would probably only be harmful if the pump is a variable speed without surge protection.

Last year I had just finished cleaning my pool and a wind storm began....a TON of dead arborvidae pieces went into the pool....it covered
    the surface nearly 100%....like an idiot I kept running my pump anyway....well I had to clear the skimmer every 10 minutes because it
    would fill then cause a vortex starving the pump. In hindsight I should have just turned off the pump then cleaned all that debris out later.

lesson learned.
    Thanks! Just saw this but turned it off. It ran a good 4 hours. Ouch - I've learned many lessons the hard way as well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Not knowing your skimmer setup (venturi vs. draw), it wouldn't hurt to leave the pump on. At least then, the filtration effect of the pump would help to keep contaminants out of the water which will need to be offset by chlorine. On our venturi setup, the return pressure drives the skim function, so it could be entirely filled with debris and won't negatively affect pump/filtration - it just would stop skimming. When storms crop up and dump tree debris, I start raking; every bit I can remove by hand is that much less that won't get sucked into the filters and increase my pressures, necessitating a filter cleaning. I check my pump cage (basket) daily and ensure there's nothing that would impede flow, along with the skimmer basket.

As to the electrical issue of thunderstorms and lightning, the grounded pump and fully earthed equipment and pool would be highly unlikely to see a strike. Running vs. not-running electrical equipment has no bearing on the likelihood of a strike either, so don't overthink it. Whatever you do, you'll want to check chlorine levels after the storm is over and adjust accordingly.
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Good points. Thank you. I've been out there skimming like a fool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolChickTX View Post
    Good points. Thank you. I've been out there skimming like a fool.
    I can SO relate to that statement. We were just hit too... in the Land of Drought, most rains are welcome but our storms never come in without wind blown debris. The fastest way I know to clear it is skim and vacuum when there's no chance of lightning.

Once you're into the TFPC system your pool care habits become second nature though. For me, it's a morning check for water color/clarity and removing loose debris/clearing the filter basket while the dog does her business. After the pets are fed, it's a pH and FC test with any necessary adjustments to follow. Vacuum as needed and the rest of the day is for the taking.

PS: Welcome PoolChickTX!!!
    13 yr. old 5000 ga. inground fiberglass pool filtered by multi-port StaRite housing 300 lbs. of glass media and powered by a 1 hp single speed pump. City water supply is aquifer based, heavily laden with copper and calcium. Drought restrictions are in place. TFPC method supported by TF-100 test kit and Taylor SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks! I actually turned the pump back on after cleaning the baskets. Bam that tiny debris went in.. Off now but I'm learning