Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump or actually filter question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cedar Park, TX

Pump or actually filter question

I think I already know the answer to this. I have an above ground pool. In Texas we have been getting a little rain lately (last weekend was 10") the skies opened up again last night. Lots of pumping water to waste (sorry California if I could get it to you I would). This morning I am standing in the rain pumping again. I get to a level I like and I shut the pump down. I leave the valve set to waste. I go back inside and get back to work. I walk by the back door and see that the pool is an inch or so lower. Pump is not running.

Here is the question. If the valve is open to waste. Will gravity continue to flow the water out of the pool? The answer has got to be yes or I have in the last hour created a monster leak. Learned something new today. I went out and put the valve back to filter position. It started raining again so I am sure my fill is taken care of by nature. Writing a note to pick up some stabilizer.

12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Pump or actually filter question

You are correct it will keep going out as there is not "stop" when it is set to waste. Good catch!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!