fresh n clear

TJTJ

Oct 18, 2015
Orinda, California
Brought CYA down to 90 from 125 :) I'm planning on bring down to 40 during our rainy season, then proceed to SLAM. My question is; any harm using Fresh and Clear during interim period? I purchased recently :( and hate not to use unless it brings up my CYA or any other side effects. Ingredient: Potassium peroxymonosulfate, 38% other 62%

Most discussions on this site about Fresh and Clear indicate that it isn't of much value for regular, outdoor pool use. It's good as an oxidizer and has some value for Spas, but not really good as a sanitizer. Best to stick with regular bleach/chlorine.

I would also be interested in knowing your Test Kit and test process to show a decrease in CYA from 125 to 90. Test methods vary and only through consistent process and multiple testing to eliminate variables would this be indicative of a positive outcome. Thanks for sharing your experience,

TJTJ,

MPS is a non-chlorine oxidizer. It won't do much for disinfection (it has fairly low killing power) and it's not a good oxidizer as compared to chlorine. It also has the annoying effect of interfering with the FAS-DPD test as it can show up as excess CCs giving you the false indication that your water has a high organic load.

So my suggestion is this - stick to the TFPC Method of pool care and don't add anything to your pool water that it does not need. Since it does not need MPS, don't add it.

If you have a spa, you can use a little bit of it there as an additional oxidizer in conjunction with chlorine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also be interested in knowing your Test Kit and test process to show a decrease in CYA from 125 to 90. Test methods vary and only through consistent process and multiple testing to eliminate variables would this be indicative of a positive outcome. Thanks for sharing your experience,

I purchased the tf-100 test kit. I thought my CYA was high through tests at pool store and I had way too much algae this summer. I drained ~25 to 30 percent of pool water and replaced in same day. Then ran the filter overnight and took a sample in morning. Repeated process next night in morning. Both samples came up with 90. I also took a sample to the pool store to see their results, they also showed a CYA of 90. I plan on draining and replacing more water during the rainy season. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.