Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fresh n clear

1. Back To Top    #1

fresh n clear

Brought CYA down to 90 from 125 I'm planning on bring down to 40 during our rainy season, then proceed to SLAM. My question is; any harm using Fresh and Clear during interim period? I purchased recently and hate not to use unless it brings up my CYA or any other side effects. Ingredient: Potassium peroxymonosulfate, 38% other 62%
    28,000 gallon IG pool, plaster, built approx. 1970.
    1 1/2 " plumbing. Pentair, Intelliflo 3 hp variable speed.
    Crystal Water cartridge filter system, model #425
    Dolphin Deluxe 4,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fresh n clear

Most discussions on this site about Fresh and Clear indicate that it isn't of much value for regular, outdoor pool use. It's good as an oxidizer and has some value for Spas, but not really good as a sanitizer. Best to stick with regular bleach/chlorine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would also be interested in knowing your Test Kit and test process to show a decrease in CYA from 125 to 90. Test methods vary and only through consistent process and multiple testing to eliminate variables would this be indicative of a positive outcome. Thanks for sharing your experience,
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.

4. Back To Top    #4

TJTJ,

MPS is a non-chlorine oxidizer. It won't do much for disinfection (it has fairly low killing power) and it's not a good oxidizer as compared to chlorine. It also has the annoying effect of interfering with the FAS-DPD test as it can show up as excess CCs giving you the false indication that your water has a high organic load.

So my suggestion is this - stick to the TFPC Method of pool care and don't add anything to your pool water that it does not need. Since it does not need MPS, don't add it.

If you have a spa, you can use a little bit of it there as an additional oxidizer in conjunction with chlorine.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by LongDuck View Post
    I would also be interested in knowing your Test Kit and test process to show a decrease in CYA from 125 to 90. Test methods vary and only through consistent process and multiple testing to eliminate variables would this be indicative of a positive outcome. Thanks for sharing your experience,
    I purchased the tf-100 test kit. I thought my CYA was high through tests at pool store and I had way too much algae this summer. I drained ~25 to 30 percent of pool water and replaced in same day. Then ran the filter overnight and took a sample in morning. Repeated process next night in morning. Both samples came up with 90. I also took a sample to the pool store to see their results, they also showed a CYA of 90. I plan on draining and replacing more water during the rainy season. Thanks.
    28,000 gallon IG pool, plaster, built approx. 1970.
    1 1/2 " plumbing. Pentair, Intelliflo 3 hp variable speed.
    Crystal Water cartridge filter system, model #425
    Dolphin Deluxe 4,

6. Back To Top    #6

Now confused whether you attribute the drop in CYA to the chemical you added or due to water replacement...?
    July2015 New - 12,900gal IG Clorine Pool: Free Form Shot/PebbleSheen, Ceramic Waterline/Travertine Coping/Deck, Paramount PV3 In-Floor, Pentair 3050VS Intelliflo Variable (3000rpm High/1000rpm Low), Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge, Venturi Skimmer, MDX/SDX Drain, Paralevel, Rock Waterfall +3/4" Aireator, Intellibrite 5G LED, EasyTouch4, and Tab Floater.