Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about attaching a vac hose to a wall return

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about attaching a vac hose to a wall return

I want to do something a little unorthodox and figured this would be a good place to ask. I'm getting ready to drop the water level of my pool so I can winterize the lines. I also have a spa (that is completely separate from the pool) that I would like to empty and refill before the winter. That got me thinking why not use 520 gallons of my perfectly balanced pool water that is going to otherwise be dumped to refill the spa. The question I have is does anyone know if there is a fitting that can screw into a standard wall return that would allow me to attach a standard vac hose to it? The thinking is to use one of the return lines to pump water through the vac hose with the other end sitting in the spa to quickly refill it.

The water rates are getting a little crazy here and I figure using the pool water that I am going to discard seems like a good idea vs paying water and sewer for the 520 gallons I need. The alternate solution is using a submersible pump to achieve the same goal, but that would obviously take a lot longer.
    Outdoor IG 18x36' vinyl pool built in 1988. 29,000 gallons. Sand filter, Hayward Super Pump - 1.5HP . Polaris 9300xi sport robot cleaner. | Sundance Aspen 520 gallon spa with CLEARRAY UV-C Water Purification System.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Question about attaching a vac hose to a wall return

I bet, if you unscrew the eyeball part, the hose will fit right in there and stick good enough. You could always wrap some duct taper around it if it isn't big enough to stick.

Don't forget to tell the water people you are filling a Hot Tub. They really aren't allowed to charge you for water that you can prove is not going down the sewer. They will say they don't care, but if you press the issue, you really should get them to relent. I've only lived in two houses that were on municipal sewer and in both cases I was able to do this. One was easy, the other was harder, but I kept at them.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

440 - Do you think that would work in reverse?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't see why it wouldn't. The door is spring loaded, so if it's the only return that's active, make sure the hose is in place to allow flow before the pump is turned on.
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I was worried the pressure from the water would blow the hose out of the fitting...

7. Back To Top    #7

Hard to say...I know I can get the hose pretty tight, but I think it would depend on the hose length and how straight of a run it is...
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Did you look at adapting the hose to your existing waste connection? Depending on how it is plumbed, it might be easier. Post a pic of your filter and I'm sure folks on here would have some ideas. If it is hard PVC all the way from the multi-port to the sewer line, then yeah, it's a non-starter. If there is flex involved, it could be easy.

The other point is that 520 gal is not a lot for a submersible. Heck, my cover pump does 1800 gph.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have a hose bib on the output of the pool pump? You could first drain the spa and then refill it via the hose bib + hose and your pool pump.

Also, some sand filter multi-port valves have a drain to waste which bypasses the filter out of the backwash line which you could put in the spa.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Do you have a hose bib on the output of the pool pump? You could first drain the spa and then refill it via the hose bib + hose and your pool pump.

Also, some sand filter multi-port valves have a drain to waste which bypasses the filter out of the backwash line which you could put in the spa.
    That is probably the best option. There is an old vacuum hose attached to it with a host clamp, but there are no vacuum fittings attached. The only downside is the filter is on the opposite end of the pool from the spa and would be upwards of a 60' run vs maybe a 25' run from the return in the shallow end of the pool. It's going to come down to whether I want to move the process along quickly or just throw the sump pump into the pool. I'm starting to lean towards the latter since it looks like it is going to be well above normal temps for the coming week.
    Outdoor IG 18x36' vinyl pool built in 1988. 29,000 gallons. Sand filter, Hayward Super Pump - 1.5HP . Polaris 9300xi sport robot cleaner. | Sundance Aspen 520 gallon spa with CLEARRAY UV-C Water Purification System.