Wiring VS pump to incompatible automation controller

Mar 25, 2012
Hayward Aqua Logic AQL-P-4 (10yrs old) https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/AquaLogicAQL-P-4InstallationManual.pdf
Hayward Tristar SP3200VSP

Current setup is two 220 volt loads coming into the Aqua Logic. One main pump and one waterfall pump.
My main single-speed pump went out and being replaced by the VS.
I realize I am going to give up automation control of the pump and am ok with that. The previous owners lost remotes, and the system is so dated that the control board and antenna have o be updated to work with the newer remotes; not happening. So I will need to now shut off pump before valves switch to spa mode.

What is the best way to wire this?
My initial thoughts are, program the Aqua Logic to leave the pump relay on 24x7 then let the pump internal timer control it.
or
Disconnect incoming load from relay and wire nut the load line to the outgoing pump line (can't be the best way to do it)

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Use a 220 relay where the old pump was, then use the contacts from that to turn on the VS pump.

Thanks for your reply.
I believe my busted single speed is running through the relay.
It goes two lines in > Relay > two lines out to pump.

The relay is run by the automation timer on the Aqua Logic.
So do I just program the Aqua Logic to leave the relay on 24x7?

If you want to control the VS on and off with the VS doing all the work, then yes. Just power it from the load wires and program the Aqua Logic to run 24hrs

Depending on how your VS works you might even be able to turn it on and off with the power from the Aqualogic.

I was getting too fancy with my original idea.

If you want to control the VS on and off with the VS doing all the work, then yes. Just power it from the load wires and program the Aqua Logic to run 24hrs

Depending on how your VS works you might even be able to turn it on and off with the power from the Aqualogic.

I was getting too fancy with my original idea.

UPDATE:

I powered the pump and programmed the realy to run 24hrs. (well max allowed, 23.5hrs)
Everything is running smoothly.

Thanks for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.