Closing my pool in south Georgia

SavannahDan

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 19, 2015
Savannah GA
I apologize in advance if this issue has been addressed, but, I have been unable to find any information specific to my area. Let's face it, we do not have hard freezes down here. I normally put a mesh type leaf collector cover with water bags over the pool, run the pump a couple of hours a day and that is it. I worry about the pool again when it is beginning to warm up enough to swim again,(Apr-May). I keep all of my normal levels until the water goes down in the low 60's and then I quit monitoring it. Should I continue testing anything over the winter? Any thoughts on pump run times? I hate the power company too! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!:D

Well, I'm a bit further north from you and don't close. As it gets colder the chlorine needs diminish but I still will check it every 2 weeks or so just to assure myself all is well and nothing scary going on. I also have an autocover which I open up now and then to let the pool breath. My SWG gets turned off (saves lifespan) and I dose with liquid chlorine (aka bleach) as needed.....which isn't that often. But I don't want the pool to ever sit there with out-of-whack chemistry because it can be damaging.

When its seriously cold (those few days) we run the pump all night and cover the equipment with tarps/moving blankets with an automobile light plugged in underneath just in hopes of it helping.

I don't close my pool either and don't cover it with anything once we are past swim season (this year, we are still swimming with the solar cover!). I test every couple of weeks for FC and PH and monthly for TA and CH and only test agin for CYA when my water gets above 60 and also turn my SWG off and manually dose with chlorine as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.