Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Advice on continuing SLAM or drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Advice on continuing SLAM or drain

After 2 years of pucks, I'm done. Algae really picked up near the end of this year. Started the SLAM and ordered the TF100. Pool store said CYA was 60. My CYA test says 90-100. Brought CL up to 36 and SLAMmed for 1 week. While the pool looks a little better, I can still brush green algae daily.

Should I cut the cord with the SLAM and drain and start over with Clorox and muratic acid? I'm thinking of draining about 75% and filling before the wastewater averaging kicks in on Sunday.

Current levels:
    FC 36
    pH 7.8
    CC 0
    TA 10
    CYA 90
    10K gal, concrete, 1 1/2 HP Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump, 4 cartridge filters, Pentair 320 Chlorinator, DIY Cleaning

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Advice on continuing SLAM or drain

I would suggest that you dilute your test water 50/50 with tap water and re-check your CYA. It may be well over 90.... and that would explain why you aren't making the expected progress.

A FC value of 36 and green water with no CC looks odd. A SLAM might go better with your pH closer to 7.2.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    I would suggest that you dilute your test water 50/50 with tap water and re-check your CYA. It may be well over 90.... and that would explain why you aren't making the expected progress.

A FC value of 36 and green water with no CC looks odd. A SLAM might go better with your pH closer to 7.2.
    Keep in mind, PH reads higher above a FC of 10.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mike,
    Your CYA is too high to efficiently SLAM to pool. It can be done, but will take a LOT of bleach. Even if you do clean it up, the CYA is still too high for efficiently maintaining the FC.

My advice would be partial drain and refill and SLAM. Then use liquid chlorine fro now on.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInAustin View Post
    After 2 years of pucks, I'm done. Algae really picked up near the end of this year. Started the SLAM and ordered the TF100. Pool store said CYA was 60. My CYA test says 90-100. Brought CL up to 36 and SLAMmed for 1 week. While the pool looks a little better, I can still brush green algae daily.

Should I cut the cord with the SLAM and drain and start over with Clorox and muratic acid? I'm thinking of draining about 75% and filling before the wastewater averaging kicks in on Sunday.

Current levels:
    FC 36
    pH 7.8
    CC 0
    TA 10
    CYA 90
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Mike,
    Your CYA is too high to efficiently SLAM to pool. It can be done, but will take a LOT of bleach. Even if you do clean it up, the CYA is still too high for efficiently maintaining the FC.

My advice would be partial drain and refill and SLAM. Then use liquid chlorine fro now on.
    Thanks everyone. In theory, if you drained half the pool, would the CYA be cut in half? Or because I'm pulling water from the bottom to drain is the math not that simple?
    10K gal, concrete, 1 1/2 HP Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump, 4 cartridge filters, Pentair 320 Chlorinator, DIY Cleaning

6. Back To Top    #6

In theory, yes. However, the question is the accuracy of the CYA test.

Assuming you have a CYA of 90 (and I think it might be higher than that), it is going to take a LOT of beach to SLAM.... and if you finally make it through the SLAM successfully, it is going to take a LOT of bleach to maintain the minimum safe chlorine level.

Better to make SURE of the CYA level.

I assumed that your pH test was taken PRIOR to raising the chlorine level... if it wasn't, you cannot test the pH accurately, until your chlorine is below 10ppm.

7. Back To Top    #7

Mike,

I hope you are taking advantage of the rains here this weekend.... lots of free water coming down.

Where are you in Austin?

-Matt
    20k Gunite/Fiberglass
    Hayward SP2302VSP
    Pentair LA-MS05 BoostRite
    Pentair Quad D.E. 100 sq ft

8. Back To Top    #8

Hey Matt,

I'm kind of in no-man's land between Austin and Round Rock off of 620. Currently draining the pool now, but all the rain has made it somewhat clearer!

Can't wait to get this thing cleaned and filled back up!

Where are you at?

9. Back To Top    #9

Forest North. 620/183'ish.