Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace pool pump motor with dual/variable speed, without replacing entire pool pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace pool pump motor with dual/variable speed, without replacing entire pool pump?

I currently have a Pentair Sta-rite max-e-pro 2 hp single speed motor. I am debating on whether rehabbing the motor (replacing bearings, etc), vs buying just the motor assembly (taking motor half off, replacing it with dual or variable speed motor) in total without redoing the plumbing.

has anybody done that? And if they had, what do I look for when doing that?
    Inground Gunite/Plaster pool with spa. Estimated 31,000 gallons.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace pool pump motor with dual/variable speed, without replacing entire pool p

I replaced the motor on my 1.5hp Max-E-Pro a couple of years ago with a two speed motor, so it is definitely possible. What is the model number of your current pump: possibly P6RA6G-207L or P6E6G-208L? Also, what is the service factor (s.f.) listed on the plate?
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replace pool pump motor with dual/variable speed, without replacing entire pool p

yes it is a p6ra6g-207L. A motor # 196251 The S.F. HP is 2.20. Which did you use to replace it?

Edit: Ok now I understand S.F., HP and why it matters. The motor has to equal or be below my max 2.2, and has to match the mount.

If I had to peg it, I'm looking at this motor.

A.O. Smith 2 HP Square Flange 2-Speed Up Rate Motor - UQS1202R - INYOPools.com

From what I understand, I'll also need to change the timer. Probably these.

Amazon.com : Intermatic T10604R Pool/Spa Control Center T106M and T104M : Electrical Timers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Is there any issue with going up in Horsepower on a dual speed/variable speed, but keeping it on the lowest speed for quieter performance? This is assuming a person never actually cranks up the speed and leaves it on low. (this is just a curiosity question).
    Inground Gunite/Plaster pool with spa. Estimated 31,000 gallons.

4. Back To Top    #4

Another option is the Century B2983. At low speed, it draws almost half the current of the motor you linked. The only issue is that the B2983 is a 56Y (6 1/2" diameter) frame motor and I believe your current motor is a 48Y (5 5/8" diameter). Some people say you can remove the existing motor pad to make it work. What I did was purchase a new base (Pentair C104-79P, $35-40). This is the base for the Sta-Rite 3hp pump. All of the mounting holes line up perfectly. Make sure you replace your seal. I also replaced the two main o-rings.

I can't answer your other questions, but Century also makes the B2984 which is 2.6 Total HP.

A.O. Smith Motor, Sq Fl E-plus,full,2 Speed 1-1/2 Hp 230v (b2983) - INYOPools.com
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I did this on my 1.0hp (full-rated) Whisperflo. You can keep your existing timer and just add a hi-lo (SPDT) switch. I put it on the side of the timer box and ran one new conductor from the switch to the motor. I only run it on high to vacuum or backwash so I switch it manually. I found the skimmers work just fine on low speed. The only reason for a second or replacement timer is if you need to run a cleaner on high speed every day.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

I replaced the motor in my Hayward Northstar with a two speed motor and toggle switch. Much cheaper.... Lots of help here and
    Beachinmoney, live in AZ, Pool is inground approx. 14,500 gallons of water. I have a Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump. The pool was built in 2006 and Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Filter System. A&A in-ground cleaning system

7. Back To Top    #7

You can replace it with a direct fit 2 speed motor without adding an addition time clock or adding the additional 4th wire....

Dual Speed Pool Pump Motors W/ Digital Timer - INYOPools.com