Time To Renovate the Pool

Apr 6, 2007
Winnipeg, Canada
I think we're going to bite the bullet this year and renovate the pool. A bonus is a tax credit from the Canadian Government this year on home renovations (up to $1350.00), and it applies to pools as well. We've lived in this house for 3 years, the pool was built in the early 80's, and the liner was likely replaced along with some other work such as the shallow end stairs around 15 years ago.

The pool has had a shallow end return line leak since we've owned it, and last year I capped that line off and used the pool sweep line as a second return (it was previously unused). Unfortunately, the leaking water from that line had created a somewhat floating liner, and with it's age it lost is sketchiness. All four corners of the liner are out of the track with space behind. One corner or the liner tore near the top last year which I patched, but the winter ice rose in the corner a couple of days ago and has partially removed that patch.

It's not going to be a simple job that I can try to tackle myself so I'll be phoning around this week for estimates on doing the job right so I don't have to worry about it again. It may mean completely redoing the pool deck. It will mean replacing all of the coping (it's all PVC - replace with aluminum). The cement deck on one side has shifted over time inwards. The Shallow end return is under cement and the stairs have settled so they will need to be re-levelled. Might see about adding a SWCG at the same time. Maybe a winter safety cover. Pictures to follow.

We're perfectly happy with our rectangular pool, so no changes planned in that regard. Most pools these days have steel shells, ours is fibreglass I believe.

The pool looking west:
pool001.jpg

The steps:
pool003.jpg

Liner pulled away in the south-east corner:
pool005.jpg

North-east corner patched last year just to keep the water from going over the liner:
pool006.jpg

Concrete split along the south fence. I imagine the problem there was made worse when the neighbour's garage was built 8 years or so ago but it's hard to say.
pool008.jpg

At the top of the above picture you might see that the deck has actually shifted toward the pool at the west end, and this is how it looks from above:
pool010.jpg

The west side of the pool:
pool012.jpg

The problem corner - the liner is split at the top under this patch, and the ice has pushed the patch up:
pool013.jpg

The whole thing seem like an expensive, daunting task to me right now. Shabbado doesn't seem bothered about it though:
pool015.jpg

So are you saying that you'll rip up and replace the whole deck?

Are there any problems with the walls or floor?

If you lived in central Ct., I might be one of the guys you hired to fix all this, so, if you want to DIY, I can give you all sorts of 'tips and tricks' on doing the repair 8) Or, you can just 'bounce' what your local experts recommend off me :-D

I am considering a renovate also. I think i may need more work than you though! I could go another year or so but i need a liner and replace the reciever and stamped concreat around the pool, and fencing!!! I am gathering quotes right now, Waste you want a job in RI! I will start a new thread with pics if i do the renovate! Good luck to you!

waste said:
So are you saying that you'll rip up and replace the whole deck?

Are there any problems with the walls or floor?

If you lived in central Ct., I might be one of the guys you hired to fix all this, so, if you want to DIY, I can give you all sorts of 'tips and tricks' on doing the repair 8) Or, you can just 'bounce' what your local experts recommend off me :-D

Way beyond me on the repair TBH. I'm not sure about ripping up the whole deck, but it's a possibility, but I think at minimum a foot of concrete all around. Eh, yeah, probably the whole deck to get it done right. I'll see what the various places recommend. Walls seem to be OK, although the fibreglass is bent a little in the corner where the concrete is shifted along the fence. Deep end wall will bear looking at. The floor should need much other than a smoothing out, maybe a little more work on the hopper.

If it wasn't for the condition of the plastic coping it would likely be a job to tackle myself. Fix it properly and it should be trouble free for 15 or 10 years. Once I know I'm doing it for sure I'll post updates.

wow, that will be quite a job...keep us posted. I would love to hear the qoutes you get.

We had our 30+ yr old pool remodeled last year. it had to be sandblasted to get layers of paint off and then new plaster, return line, skimmer, main drain, filter, acouple areas of coping and few areas of deck...it cost a pretty penny approx $30,000 :( but, atleast its done and the pool looks great...I do wish we had the whole deck redone

good luck,
chris

Looked at our finances and decided that for at least this summer were going to fix our patches and see if we can't get the summer out of it, then plan for a fall fix, or possibly even waiting for next spring. That will give us more time to plan at least, and if the weather ever warms up a bit we might still hit the May long weekend target swim date. I really wish I thought we could get away with just fixing the shallow end return line and doing the liner, but I want the liner to last when I do it.

Strange thing about the shallow end return leak is that if that line is used whatever leaks ends up behind the liner. If it wasn't buried under concrete I'd do some digging. Maybe I'll find a jackhammer and do it anyways? No real way to tell without looking at the back of the return fitting I imagine. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, one estimate in, a reputable company of whom anyone I know that's dealt with them has had nothing but good things to say and nothing bad on the BBB. There are only a handfull of BBB registered pool companies here.

Full pattern 30 mil liner installed with all the prep work etc, along with replacing the PVC track/coping with aluminum and repairing the leaking return. Work to be done in early to mid June, and the way the weather has been (still ice on the pool) we wouldn't be swimming before that anyways. Approx $7600 CDN including tax. Not something I want to tackle myself either, as much the DIYer that I am.

Once that's done we should be good for 15 years I think. Cheaper than a new pool at that! And the work should qualify for about a $1000 tax credit as well.

The Mermaid Queen said:
In your first photo, your pool looks REALLY unlevel, but it could be due to the ice...

That was just the ice. Just a tiny bit floating on the surface today. Imagine that will be melted by the end of the day, so no ice on the pool in May! 3 days ago it was still thick enough to support a dog.

Redid a patch at the deep end return today. After 2 years the glue gave out. I figure I'm going to have to get things running next weekend or else end up with a smelly green pool. Almost seems a waste to add the water. At least that way I can get the heater serviced before the warranty is up.

Pool place get a better look at things yesterday. Replacing the coping and liner is not an option. Plastic walled pool, collapsing on the fence side probably due to runoff from the neighbour's yard over time. Required would be concrete deck removal and replacement as well as replacing the plastic walls with steel. So, lots of hand digging etc. Recommended sump system to deal with ground moisture. Rough estimation of costs $20,000 upward depending on what's found underneath. Recommendation was to get a vinyl guy out do make the liner last a while longer and then fill it in. lol

Lots to mull over now. Even just doing a new liner to make it last a while longer wasn't considered an option.

Oh geez. Not good news at all. :cry:

What about buying a DIY inground pool kit and replacing the whole thing yourself.

Waste is being very helpful up in Pool Construction with 7 Parts of DIY Inground Pool Kit threads. He probably wouldn't mind another pupil or even you could come over to read. I'm just learning right now in preperation of tackling a project like this in a couple years myself with a few laborers under my whip. :mrgreen: :whip:

It's too bad those walls have given out. I know you must be so disappointed... I know I would be. :rant:

Nah, this is beyond me. I think we'll patch as best we can and get a summer out of this pool, then fill it in and replace it in the spring with an above ground pool. My pump, filter and heater are all good, and it will give me and excuse to get a deck built too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.