Pool Spa draining too much water . need help

May 15, 2015
Spring Texas
Hello,

I just recently moved into a home that had a pool/spa. I really like the layout, but I am finding difficult to figure out the system since the previous owner had a pool service. So he was not much help when it came to ask questions about the pool plumbing

So I figured out that it could be why the spa is draining down when pool pump turns Off. It has to be a check valve. But I cannot find a check valve in the pluming.

2v00v37.jpg

perhaps I have an ortega valve behind this plug?? :confused:

Thanks in advance

30d7yma.jpg

we just had a storm here in Houston so I am doing some cleaning . but this is what it usually looks like. :cool:

34yqs90.png

That is not a check valve.
Even if there was a check valve the spa would only drain down to rhe level of the water in the pool.
Since it drained entirely, my bet is that the valve (probably a three way) that selects between pool and spa suction is NOT closing spa suction when the system is in pool mode.

Your spa kinda looks like mine. The spa has 1 valve for the drain, and probably 1 return. Beyond any draining issue, your spa drain should probably only be set to half, and not full.

The return you can set to full (water falls out into the main pool). The pool looks like a Anthony Sylvan pool (I'm basing that off the tile on the side which is identical to mine, this is a pure guess but those guys are based in houston).

You need to photograph your return valves and your drain valves (they look like levers or spiney wheely things that water lines used to have). You also need to take a photo of your main valve system (it looks like a black lever or like a handle with 6 switches).

yeah nothing really labeled. This top Jandy valve on it's current position will let water over flow onto the pool from the SPA. So I just left it as is. I'll try to take a photo later this PM it will so the heater that's attached to the system.

I suppose the bottom valve is the one that lets water suck either from the skimmer or the bottom drain. So I just left it on the middle setting.

My setup has separate valves for intake and return - it is possible to drain from the pool and return to the spa and vice versa.

Of course, finding out which did what was an interesting experience.

Welcome to the world of 'what the heck does THAT thing do?'

Hello,

I just recently moved into a home that had a pool/spa. I really like the layout, but I am finding difficult to figure out the system since the previous owner had a pool service. So he was not much help when it came to ask questions about the pool plumbing

So I figured out that it could be why the spa is draining down when pool pump turns Off. It has to be a check valve. But I cannot find a check valve in the pluming.

2v00v37.jpg

perhaps I have an ortega valve behind this plug?? :confused:

Thanks in advance

30d7yma.jpg

we just had a storm here in Houston so I am doing some cleaning . but this is what it usually looks like. :cool:

34yqs90.png

The top pic, 2nd spa return jet to the right of the bench might be the check valve but it is hard to view from my phone. Does it look like this??

FYI, I'm in Houston too and I know what you mean about all the rain.

Spa Return Line Ck Valve poolpartsonline.com V20-339

puredrive -

In your explorations, if you find out the name of the company that made the underwater light in the spa, please let us/me know - I have an identical unit that needs help or replacement..

I went to the pool manufacture and they were not much help. They use many contractors to build their pools. I also wanted to know since both of my light fixtures are not turning on. So no luck.

So I guess what I am going to do is replace the gaskets at the 3 way valves. I got three Jandy valves. I can start with that and I will also replace the gaskets at the multi port valve.

quick question, should I bother installing a check valve at this time? or just skip that once I find my water leak. ? thanks in advance

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks from the first pic that your spa is draining to the highest level of your pool when pump is off... Is that the case?
If so, you probably only need a check valve

I visited a local pool store. And the tech/owner suggested I dig around the after the 3 way valve (heater) that sometimes these old pool builders would put one under ground.

I just dug around everywhere and no luck. so at this point I am assuming this pool never had one :confused:

It just seems odd that they could build a SPA that would drain exposing the plaster up to the elements after the pump is shut off. :suspect:

at this point I don't mind installing a check valve, but I need help on where to position it. thanks for all the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.