Saltwater Pool is always reading High Chlorine

Oct 28, 2015
Cypress, Texas
I'm a new pool owner and I've hired 2 pool guys. I've also taken samples to a pool supply store. My TAC and FAC is always above 10. We have a prologic and I've decreased the Chroline lev to 10%..I've been told if your Chlorine is too high then it makes every other test inaccurate.
Salt level is in range. Thanks for any help.

Perhaps the best diagnostic step to take would be to shut down the salt cell (set to 0% or better yet, 1%) and then check the chlorine levels in a few days. I also had a chlorine jump with my SWG when the cell was only set to 40%. I set my cell to 1% and a few days later, chlorine levels dropped, so I was able to at least know that my cell was not erroneously outputting 100% while showing the low output reading of 1%.

You need a good test kit. You need fasdpd. See link in my signature. I would turn off the chlorinator for now until you get the fc level down.

Is the pool indoors or covered?

What are all of your chemistry readings?

I wouldnt do anything until you get reliable and accurate test results. A FC of 10 might be perfect depending on the rest of your numbers.

Your FC is not only dependent on the output %, but the pump run time as well. Without your own reliable test kit, its almost impossible to "dial in" the swg to maintain the recommended FC.
You have to test daily, and adjust, and sometimes more than once a day to get it just right. Once you have it down though, its a piece of cake.

Its also true that with FC above 10, other tests can be effected. Most prominently, the pH.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

It is an outdoor pool...I tried to set my signature with as much information as I knew. I currently have Taylor and another test box. Where can I buy the one you suggested? Tysm

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! It seems we have the same pool equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I turned it to 10% yesterday. My pool is an outdoor pool. I'm going to take a sample to Leslie's today. Honestly, I'd like to learn this on my own. We've waisted roughly $800 in 6 weeks on pool people. I will let you know what the reports are. The last time I took it in they said BC of the high Chroline/all other readings were inaccurate. Is this true testing at home with a Taylor kit?
Thank you all...Laurie

I would not recommend going to any pool $tore for testing. I might suggest you go there to buy a test kit, but that's about all I would recommend you do.

You need a test kit that has powder as one of the steps for checking FC. Without that, you are going to have trouble later on. As far as the rest, only test kits that use Taylor brand reagents are considered accurate by the folks here.

There are two recommended test kits. The TF-100 from TFTestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C from many different vendors.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you get one of the recommended test kits, post your results here and we will help you get your pool in good order. And the beauty is you will be able to do it all yourself!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way. Welcome!! We are so glad you found us, and you soon will be, too! :wave:

IMG_20151029_082131.jpgIMG_20151029_082131.jpg
Thanks! I have the Taylor Total poolcare DPD kit. I'll learn the lingo quickly. I'm a huge technology Geek but so new at pool stuff. I'm glad I found this forum! Please let me know if this kit is OK? I'm headed out and will gladly buy the correct one if I need to.
LD

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A pool service person maybe be helpful for folks that cannot physically attend to the pool, due to schedules or disability. But for just maintaining proper chemistry, you can politely decline their services. With a SWG, your yearly cost to maintain the pool should be far far less. I manually add my chlorine and I pay less than $400 for the year.

A pool service person maybe be helpful for folks that cannot physically attend to the pool, due to schedules or disability. But for just maintaining proper chemistry, you can politely decline their services. With a SWG, your yearly cost to maintain the pool should be far far less. I manually add my chlorine and I pay less than $400 for the year.
Wow! I know they are taking advantage of us. Luckily I work from home and that is why I'm eager to learn one step at a time.[emoji16]

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

You've gotten some great advice from some of the best folks here on TFP so all I'll add is -

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I'm sorry you shelled out so much money and got nothing for it :( But, no worries, once you get your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 kit and spend some time learning the TFPC Method of pool care, your annual pool costs will be minimal. Purchasing your own, high quality test kit is the best investment you'll ever make in your pool.

Best wishes,
Matt

i have a saltwater pool as well, and I use about 1 gallon muriatic acid every two months at most, and that's about $6 a bottle...so very cheap to operate.

how long are you running your pump? also, as the weather cools, you will have to adjust your saltwater system to use less chlorine since demand drops so much. that's why your chlorine is high, but its also a very good thing since it means you don't have algae. look forward to seeing your results.

i have a saltwater pool as well, and I use about 1 gallon muriatic acid every two months at most, and that's about $6 a bottle...so very cheap to operate.

how long are you running your pump? also, as the weather cools, you will have to adjust your saltwater system to use less chlorine since demand drops so much. that's why your chlorine is high, but its also a very good thing since it means you don't have algae. look forward to seeing your results.
Wow! That was where I was heading bc our pool guy said we have algae and has treated it over the past two weeks. I have poured about the same M acid (wow! Strong stuff) - That is why I'm so confused but I'll test it all today. Can you have algae problems with high chlorine?
Tyty

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.