Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Pool is always reading High Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Saltwater Pool is always reading High Chlorine

I'm a new pool owner and I've hired 2 pool guys. I've also taken samples to a pool supply store. My TAC and FAC is always above 10. We have a prologic and I've decreased the Chroline lev to 10%..I've been told if your Chlorine is too high then it makes every other test inaccurate.
    Salt level is in range. Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Saltwater Pool is always reading High Chlorine

Perhaps the best diagnostic step to take would be to shut down the salt cell (set to 0% or better yet, 1%) and then check the chlorine levels in a few days. I also had a chlorine jump with my SWG when the cell was only set to 40%. I set my cell to 1% and a few days later, chlorine levels dropped, so I was able to at least know that my cell was not erroneously outputting 100% while showing the low output reading of 1%.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

You need a good test kit. You need fasdpd. See link in my signature. I would turn off the chlorinator for now until you get the fc level down.

Is the pool indoors or covered?

What are all of your chemistry readings?

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldnt do anything until you get reliable and accurate test results. A FC of 10 might be perfect depending on the rest of your numbers.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Your FC is not only dependent on the output %, but the pump run time as well. Without your own reliable test kit, its almost impossible to "dial in" the swg to maintain the recommended FC.
    You have to test daily, and adjust, and sometimes more than once a day to get it just right. Once you have it down though, its a piece of cake.

Its also true that with FC above 10, other tests can be effected. Most prominently, the pH.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

It is an outdoor pool...I tried to set my signature with as much information as I knew. I currently have Taylor and another test box. Where can I buy the one you suggested? Tysm

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! It seems we have the same pool equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I turned it to 10% yesterday. My pool is an outdoor pool. I'm going to take a sample to Leslie's today. Honestly, I'd like to learn this on my own. We've waisted roughly $800 in 6 weeks on pool people. I will let you know what the reports are. The last time I took it in they said BC of the high Chroline/all other readings were inaccurate. Is this true testing at home with a Taylor kit?
    Thank you all...Laurie
    Laurie - Houston, TX 12,000 gallons, Rectangular Saltwater IG Pool, Pebble, Hayward pump installed by unknown 2011, ProLogic Automation and Chlorination/Aqua Logic Wireless Remote, Hayward Tiger Shark, Taylor K-2006 (on its way) DE filter Hayward.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I would not recommend going to any pool $tore for testing. I might suggest you go there to buy a test kit, but that's about all I would recommend you do.

You need a test kit that has powder as one of the steps for checking FC. Without that, you are going to have trouble later on. As far as the rest, only test kits that use Taylor brand reagents are considered accurate by the folks here.

There are two recommended test kits. The TF-100 from TFTestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C from many different vendors.

- - - Updated - - -

Once you get one of the recommended test kits, post your results here and we will help you get your pool in good order. And the beauty is you will be able to do it all yourself!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way. Welcome!! We are so glad you found us, and you soon will be, too!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

IMG_20151029_082131.jpgIMG_20151029_082131.jpg
    Thanks! I have the Taylor Total poolcare DPD kit. I'll learn the lingo quickly. I'm a huge technology Geek but so new at pool stuff. I'm glad I found this forum! Please let me know if this kit is OK? I'm headed out and will gladly buy the correct one if I need to.
    LD
    Laurie - Houston, TX 12,000 gallons, Rectangular Saltwater IG Pool, Pebble, Hayward pump installed by unknown 2011, ProLogic Automation and Chlorination/Aqua Logic Wireless Remote, Hayward Tiger Shark, Taylor K-2006 (on its way) DE filter Hayward.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

That one is close. All you need is to add the FAS-DPD test to that one and you'll be set. At least until your CYA testing runs out
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

OK great! I'll pick up the additional test this morning.. Thanks again.

11. Back To Top    #11

what is your CYA reading? that is key and establishes what your chlorine levels should be
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

12. Back To Top    #12

I am going to check everything in about 2 hours when I get home with my Taylor get. Thank you for the help.

13. Back To Top    #13

A pool service person maybe be helpful for folks that cannot physically attend to the pool, due to schedules or disability. But for just maintaining proper chemistry, you can politely decline their services. With a SWG, your yearly cost to maintain the pool should be far far less. I manually add my chlorine and I pay less than $400 for the year.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    A pool service person maybe be helpful for folks that cannot physically attend to the pool, due to schedules or disability. But for just maintaining proper chemistry, you can politely decline their services. With a SWG, your yearly cost to maintain the pool should be far far less. I manually add my chlorine and I pay less than $400 for the year.
    Wow! I know they are taking advantage of us. Luckily I work from home and that is why I'm eager to learn one step at a time.

15. Back To Top    #15

You've gotten some great advice from some of the best folks here on TFP so all I'll add is -

Welcome to TFP

I'm sorry you shelled out so much money and got nothing for it But, no worries, once you get your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 kit and spend some time learning the TFPC Method of pool care, your annual pool costs will be minimal. Purchasing your own, high quality test kit is the best investment you'll ever make in your pool.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

16. Back To Top    #16

You guys are awesome! I look forward to learning and paying it forward

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Oh my gosh! I almost forgot. We really need some pics of your pool and equipment! We love pictures.

18. Back To Top    #18

i have a saltwater pool as well, and I use about 1 gallon muriatic acid every two months at most, and that's about $6 a bottle...so very cheap to operate.

how long are you running your pump? also, as the weather cools, you will have to adjust your saltwater system to use less chlorine since demand drops so much. that's why your chlorine is high, but its also a very good thing since it means you don't have algae. look forward to seeing your results.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    i have a saltwater pool as well, and I use about 1 gallon muriatic acid every two months at most, and that's about $6 a bottle...so very cheap to operate.

how long are you running your pump? also, as the weather cools, you will have to adjust your saltwater system to use less chlorine since demand drops so much. that's why your chlorine is high, but its also a very good thing since it means you don't have algae. look forward to seeing your results.
    Wow! That was where I was heading bc our pool guy said we have algae and has treated it over the past two weeks. I have poured about the same M acid (wow! Strong stuff) - That is why I'm so confused but I'll test it all today. Can you have algae problems with high chlorine?
    Tyty

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Oh my gosh! I almost forgot. We really need some pics of your pool and equipment! We love pictures.
    OK I promise to post!! Maybe y'all can help with my signature

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast