2-speed 110V motor w/timer (B2981T)

SeaCorey

In The Industry
Aug 6, 2014
Tampa
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I'm looking to upgrade to this unit, but haven't been able to find it with a wet end (I swear I saw one online 4-5 months ago...).

I have an old Hayward SP 2805X7 wet end with a single-speed motor with bad bearing, will that fit the B2981T?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a Sta-Rite with a big round housing that just started leaking at the ceramic seal (keeps tripping breaker after 45 seconds) if that opens up any options.

The B2981T is a 56Y square flange motor and the Hayward requires a 56J frame motor so not compatible. The Sta-Rite could be a 56Y if the motor looks like this:

$T2eC16dHJIYE9qUcO4CPBRzNsS5yO!~~60_35.JPG

You are looking for this I believe,U.S. Motors EB2975T 2EZSpeed 1 or 1/8HP 56J C Flange Full-Rated 230V Pool and Spa Motor. Which ever one is the right HP for you. I would be leary about purchasing one of these. Everyone I spoke to said they are too expansive and the timers wear out. I bought this, a two speed 1 hp motor, B2977 230V with a toggle switch, ($15) charge $209 total, $224, including shipping to AZ. I got a two year warranty and I bought it from Electric Motors.com.

Thank you. The Sta rite does appear to have a square frame. Is there a code anywhere on the motor or pump housing that will confirm it's a 56Y?

Or more to the point, what are the dimensions of 56Y? The on center distances between the mounting holes and whatever other specs I should verify before purchasing would be a big help.

Thanks again

Thank you. The Sta rite does appear to have a square frame. Is there a code anywhere on the motor or pump housing that will confirm it's a 56Y?
Yes, on the old motor label, it should indicate the frame type "FR".

Or more to the point, what are the dimensions of 56Y? The on center distances between the mounting holes and whatever other specs I should verify before purchasing would be a big help.
All that really maters is the old motor is a 56Y frame and has a square flange. Even a a 48Y square flange will work with a 56Y frame but the support would need to be modified because the motor diameters are slightly different but the bolt holes are the same.

Here are the dimensions: Electrical Motor Frame Dimensions

I don't see an "F" anywhere on the StaRite motor. Model #P2RA5E - 181L, Serial # 035H06S with 0012 in a box to the right, Enclosure #3.

The bolt pattern seems to be about 1/2" closer together than the Hayward, which is 5 1/2" on center. The Hayward has SP2600-E stamped on the inside of the impeller housing.hay shroud.jpg

That is a square frame motor and I believe that is is a 48Y frame. Is there a shim under the rear of the motor support that can be removed?

I'm not sure. I pulled the entire Hayward pump/motor assembly (b/c it was screaming whining) back in May and installed the entire StaRite assembly (it was harvested intact from a client's upgrade to variable speed). The Hayward had a small mounting rack that (I think I still have around here...) sat about an inch lower than the StaRite does.

Best case at this point would be bolting up to the StaRite (which has a 1hp motor) that's currently plumbed, but again it seems to have a smaller bolt pattern. I'm also installing a few solar pool panels and would prefer the higher flow rate than the Hayward.

Barring that I'll dig up the Hayward (which has a 3/4hp motor) mounting rack or fabricate a mount and replumb everything again.

Do either of those options seem viable?

Best case at this point would be bolting up to the StaRite (which has a 1hp motor) that's currently plumbed, but again it seems to have a smaller bolt pattern.
Smaller than what? The Hayward? It would because it is a different frame than the Hayward so they are not compatible as I mentioned before.

If you really want to use the B2981T, you must use the Sta-Rite wet end but the mount will need to be modified for the larger motor diameter.

If you want a motor for the Sta-Rite that does not require a mount modification, you want the UQS1102R.

For the Hayward wet end, you would want STS1072RV1.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pic I included is of the Hayward, apologies if that caused confusion.

The bolt holes of the Hayward are 5 1/2" apart (all along the perimeter, not corner-corner). The bolt holes on the StaRite are 5" apart (measured the same way).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.