Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quad DE Filter Issues (DE back in pool)

1. Back To Top    #1

Quad DE Filter Issues (DE back in pool)

I recently needed a new filter, so decided to go "big" as I have a lot of trees and gunk that falls in the pool throughout the year. I got the Pentair 100 sq ft quad DE filter. I was cleaning up a green pool when I first got it, so I couldn't really see anything coming back out of the ports in the pool. I used about 14 scoops of DE with the blue scoop from Leslie. They advertise as 1lb, but I've found it closer to .75. I went through the SLAM process as I was cleaning up a green pool and the pool cleaned up nicely. I backwashed the filter and recharged with about 80% of suggested DE.

Since I installed the new filter, I've been having some issues with my pressure side Polaris. The filter screen at the port has been getting clogged with what appears to be DE and small red bits that fall from the trees here. Being that the polaris pump is pulling from the exit of the Pentair filter, it's pretty easy to see that some stuff is getting past the filter.

I just broke down the filter to make sure that everything was seated properly and everything looked good. I sprayed down the cartridges and cleaned everything from top to bottom. I reloaded with DE and I can see some of it coming back in to the pool.

As the cartridges look good and the filter body/assembly looks good, I'm a little confused as to what's happening.

Any thoughts?

-Matt
    20k Gunite/Fiberglass
    Hayward SP2302VSP
    Pentair LA-MS05 BoostRite
    Pentair Quad D.E. 100 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quad DE Filter Issues (DE back in pool)

It is not uncommon for DE to come back into the pool after a deep clean. It takes time for the DE to coat the cartridges. When I do a tear down and clean, I typically add the DE very slowly (1 lb at a time in a 5 gal bucket) with the pump running at high speed. When I'm finished charging, I let the pump run at a slightly higher speed than normal and I leave it running for a minimum of 12 hours but usually 24 hours. This insures that two things happen - the cartridges get coated and the mesh screen on the cap where the air bleed tube is (middle of the top manifold assembly, also gets coated. I also make sure that the air bleed is opened at initial pump start to get all of the air out of the filter.

DE blow-by should only last for about 30sec to 1min and then should cease. Any pressure side cleaners should not be run until the filter is properly charged and no more DE is see from the returns.

I see blow-by with every deep clean I do but it only lasts for 30sec and then, if I happen to see it the next day, it again only lasts for 30sec.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I realize that this is a bit of hindsight being 20/20 vision but I would have plumbed the pressure side cleaner line before the filter, not after it. That way, changes in flow from a filter loading don't affect the pressure on the cleaner.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Quad DE Filter Issues (DE back in pool)

I don't remember getting any DE back in the pool with my previous filter, but maybe I just didn't notice. That wouldn't explain the small bits of stuff that sneak past the filter and clog my Polaris. I never had that problem with the previous filter, but I have to clean the small filter screen every day or 2 now.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quad DE Filter Issues (DE back in pool)

You might check items #3 & #4 on the air bleed assembly.

There's a metal mesh in place there that needs to get coated with DE. If the mesh is damaged or the spring comes off when the lid is replaced, you can get DE down the air relief pipe.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates