Closing the pool, leave the spa operational

May 21, 2012
HI, Im here in NJ, and we like to use our spa through Dec/Jan, but obviously not the pool. We usually cover the pool, leave everything on, and just flip the cover back on the spa when we want to use it. This obviously can be a pain, since we have to close the pool in Jan, and the water is devastatingly cold to put your hands into.
Is there some way to shut down the pool, lower the water level, chemicalize it etc., but still be able to use the spa and have to shut that only down in January?
Thanks for any help!
Anne Marie Menges
33000 gal saltwater unite pool
attached overflow 8"diameter spa

Yes, it is possible. When I lived in E.Pa I had some customers do this. But, the spa must be able to run totally independent of the pool and the spa would have to be run 24/7 to prevent freezing issues. Making sure that there is no exchange of water between the spa and pool is the key. Some pictures would be good for me to advise you more, or for another expert to chime in

We have our pool closed the first week of October and keep the spa open until early December. I have a pool company do it for us so they winterize the pool closing all the return valves after blowing them out. They do some changes to the auto control wiring and auto valve settings. As mentioned above all the pumps need to run in freeze protection once the temps drop below freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.