Installing additional return line

Ronmur

Oct 28, 2015
McDonough, GA
Installing a used 18X33 above ground pool. Current skimmer and return line are at one end, just off of the straight wall. Wouldn't adding another return line at the other end help with circulation for filtering and chemical distribution?? I will be constructing my own lines for the filter and returns. What are some considerations for placement and configuration?

Wouldn't adding another return line at the other end help with circulation for filtering and chemical distribution??
Maybe, Maybe not. It depends on the equipment you plan on using specifically the pump and filter.

I can see that directing the water flow away from the skimmer. But I'm wondering about circulating the water at the opposite end of the pool. With one return, at the same end as the skimmer, it seems the water at the other end wouldn't move very well.

You will be surprised at how far the flow rate out of a return reaches especially with the pump you have. Here are some experiments that I ran on my pool. One of the videos is with a single return.

Circulation Dye Test

Skimming is likely to be more of an issue than circulation but again, unless there is a really good reason to add the return now vs later, I would just see how the pool performs as is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.