Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Installing additional return line

1. Back To Top    #1

Lightbulb Installing additional return line

Installing a used 18X33 above ground pool. Current skimmer and return line are at one end, just off of the straight wall. Wouldn't adding another return line at the other end help with circulation for filtering and chemical distribution?? I will be constructing my own lines for the filter and returns. What are some considerations for placement and configuration?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Installing additional return line

Wouldn't adding another return line at the other end help with circulation for filtering and chemical distribution??
    Maybe, Maybe not. It depends on the equipment you plan on using specifically the pump and filter.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

My skimmer & returns are on the same side.
    When i change my returns eyeball to this type it made all the difference in the world
    HAY hydro.jpg
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

I can see that directing the water flow away from the skimmer. But I'm wondering about circulating the water at the opposite end of the pool. With one return, at the same end as the skimmer, it seems the water at the other end wouldn't move very well.
    SeaSpray High Sierra 18X33 AGP - 15,700 gallons - Hayward DreamLine sand filter S190TSCP 45GPM - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5HP 70GPM - Liquid chlorine and baking soda

5. Back To Top    #5

You will be surprised at how far the flow rate out of a return reaches especially with the pump you have. Here are some experiments that I ran on my pool. One of the videos is with a single return.

Circulation Dye Test

Skimming is likely to be more of an issue than circulation but again, unless there is a really good reason to add the return now vs later, I would just see how the pool performs as is.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater