Cartridge Filter Recommendation

Jun 8, 2015
Brighton East
Hi All,

I have 60,000L brand new pool. The pool builder has installed Pentair Posi-Clear RP 200 sq-ft cartridge filter.
What I find is that filter tends too clog up quite frequently and needs to be washed almost bi-weekly.

Having read numerous posts on this forum, I found that many members run 450-500 sq-fit cartridge filters that don't require regular cleaning.
I would love to get some recommendations on which brand/model to buy?

Pentair System 3 S8MB500
Zodiac CV580
Any others?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated
ta
Vlad

Brand is probably less relevant than size. Go by price, availability and warranty.

However, the system 3 does not seem to get a lot of good reviews. For Pentair, I would go with the Clean and Clear line and for Hayward, the SwimClear line.

However, 200 sq-ft should be big enough for your size pool. I have a 400 sq-ft filter on a 20k gallon pool or about 50 gallons/sq-ft while yours is a 200 sq-ft on a 16k pool with a 200 sq-ft filter or 80 gallons/sq-ft so you should only need to clean your filter 1.5x what I do which is once per year so 2-4 times per year at most.

Are you absolutely sure the filter is not getting clogged with algae and not debris? I would check for an algae bloom with an OCLT.

Also, what kind of pool do you have? If it is plaster, it could be plaster dust clogging the filter.

Thanks heaps for your prompt reply Mark.

I realise that the 200 sq-ft filter is definitely big enough especially given the flow rate of 150GPM. However, the cartridge is obstructing the flow.
If I run the filter without the cartridge element in, I get good pressure at my infloor (~15psi) and everything works as it should! As soon as the element goes back in, the pressure drops to less than 5 PSI. The infloor doesn't get enough pressure to clean and even spa jets are barely "alive".

The pool is only 3 month old. It's glass mosaic tiled. The pool was originally way over-chlorinated, so no signs of any algae.
Having read numerous posts on this forum I find most people use 400-600 sq-ft filters and clean them annually. This is the way I want to go.
However, which filter to get is another story:
Current Filter -Pentai Pos-Clear RP, 200 sq-ft - Flow Rate 150GPM
Clean and Clear Plus 520 - 500 sq-ft, Flow Rate 150GPM,
Astral Viron CL600 - 220GPM, 600 sq-fit
Jandy CV580 - 150GPM, 58- sq-ft

So most filters have the same flow rate but obviously the larger filter area should hopefully meaning longer time between cleans
Anyway, I wonder if Viron brand is any good given the higher flow rates?
Jandy seems to be the best priced here in Oz.
Thanks again for all the input.
Vlad
pool.jpg

Attachments

• 7ward pool_day (2).jpg
    7ward pool_day (2).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 118
Cleaning frequency should be directly proportional to the surface area of the filter so a 400 sq-ft filter will need to be cleaned 1/2 as often as a 200 sq-ft filter. But given your bi-weekly cleaning, that only gets you to once a week. I still think you have something else going on. There is no way you should be getting that much debris in the pool where it clogs a 200 sq-ft filter that often. Before buying a new filter, I would at least do an OCLT.

Thanks guys. Will run through OCLT and see where it takes me.
A point to note that l I have not had algae in my pool due to initially it's been way over-cholorinated. (almost 18).
However, I'll give the OCLT a go and see if that fixes things.

That aside, any particular large sq-ft filter you can recommend?

- - - Updated - - -

Any idea where I can buy FAS-DPD test kit here in Oz?

We have LOTS of trees and I'm happy with Pentair Clean and Clear 520sf filter. I use Pleatco cartridges in it. They are quite a bit better than the original Pentair cartridges, easier to clean, stay clean longer, clog less, better flow, etc.

It is possible to have high FC, clear water and algae. Mine was hiding behind the light and in the pool cleaner. Regular brushing also helps. Performing a full SLAM until all 3 criteria are met with regular brushing will kill it completely. Otherwise it can just go hide.

I will second the recommend of Pleatco - I get a serious, 1" thick algae mat - I went through two sets of carts trying to clear it (the only real way is to drain, but we have this drought...).
The Pleatco carts cleaned much more easily and were the last set needed (there is still dead algae, but I quit for the winter).

I run WAY larger than advised filter size - I really, really don't like cleaning them.

Hi Guys,

Thanks heaps for all the advise. It's really is invaluable. I've been trying to find a local supplier who sells Pleatco cartridges but guess what!
Not bloody likely, Cant' find anyone local who sells this brand and they won't ship them to Australia from the USA.
So back to the drawing board I go.

Incidentally I am also struggling to find a reliable Pentair supplier locally. the company that seems to be over-represented is Jandy/Zodiac.

hmm go figure

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.