Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: shopping for chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Rancho Cordova CA

shopping for chlorine

I was in Walmart and first went to the household bleach section. Great value brand seemed the cheapest but I notice some had the actual chlorine content and some of them didn't. Hard to tell what other additives they are putting in this stuff since its not listed. Obviously avoid scented etc but beyond that I'm concerned about what else they are putting in this stuff since it certainly isn't being marketed for pool use. I went over the to pool section and ended up buying a box, two gallons, of HTH brand liquid chlorine 10%.
    Greg ~ My pool: Plaster, 19,500 Gal Century V-Green 165 variable pump 1.65HP; Pentair Clean and ClearCtg filter; Polairs 380 with 1/2hp booster pump. Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Re: shopping for chlorine

As long as the strength is listed as 8.25% it's the right stuff. Of course, no scents or splash less. Concentrated is fine. The 10% you found is fine too. I would worry about the age though. Look for date code on it. Same is true for regular bleach. But turnover with bleach is usually fast enough that it's fresh stuff.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as it's not splash free/scented, the other 90%-91.75% is just water and a little bit of salt.
    28k IG gunnite/diamond brite pool built May 2015, K2006 test kit w/ SpeedStir & Salt
    AquaCal Autopilot Digital Salt Chlorine Generator
    Pentair STA-RITE DE Filter
    Pentair Intellipro VS main pump/ MAX-E-PRO waterfall pump
    Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pacific NW

check the dates...the walmart I went to during a SLAM last summer had VERY old bleach
    and when I opened the bottle I couldn't even smell it.

Had to return 9 bottles and exchange for fresher chlorox...that wasn't fun.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.