Questions\issues with new liner.

Oct 27, 2015
greenville, sc
This past Saturday we attempted to install a new liner in our pool after completion of floor repair and new wall foam.

The new liner is from Kafko. It is 18x36 inground. There wasn't many problems hanging the liner other than the break arrows on the liner did not appear to line up correctly with the small tile lines in the bottom.

I closed out the steps with 4x8 plywood and a 2x4 and duct tape. Started two shop vacs to seat liner and I could not get it to pull in the corners. The shop vacs ran for about 25 minutes and the seam for the floor in shallow end at the wall was 4 inches above the floor. Plus the liner was pulled away from the same shallow end walls. It appeared to me that running the vacuum longer would not result in the liner seam being at or near the floor. I stopped vacs and tried to reposition more material into shallow end, but did not help the issue. I measured the side wall and the seam is at 38.5. I ordered a wall height of 42. The dimensions on the box say 42. I believe if the liner was within an inch of requested wall height it would seat better. The air temperature was in the low 70s on Saturday. I have not put in water, because I didn't believe the liner was seating properly.

Any assistance is appreciated.

My first thought, before you even mentioned the wall height, was that the liner dimensions must have been off. I wonder if the liner is actually off and the box is mislabeled. Can you call the company to confirm what the seam length on side wall should be for a 42" wall?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I am close to you and would be happy to take a look and offer advice at no charge. A standard 42" wall panel normally results in a 40 inch finished elevation after adding a two inch base of either vermiculite or concrete. I have installed many Kafko liner over the years and have found them all to fit very well. The wall material they use in manufacturing is precut for 40 and 46 inch finished elevations when using a 42 or 48 inch panel unless it is a special order and that normally means just cutting down a 46 pattern. We look at a pool and can tell without measuring what the dimensions should be but always do extensive measuring because things in the pool world are almost never like they should be.

Mike
USAqua
803-760-7000

If it helps my recent liner install was very tight even with custom measuring. It pulled the liner down 2 inches in the shallow end (deep end was perfect) when filled but nothing broke
and the company saw photos of it during fill and said the warranty was in effect and they would stand by the measurement
as it was.

Latham has replied by email that the liner is manufactured correctly. I specifically asked what the sidewall height should be to seam when my measurement was 42. They did not answer that question. I told them I was concerned about proper fit. I have asked that question again. Kafko liners is owned by Latham Pool Products and it was a customer service person from Latham that was answering my email. I will try to call Kafko directly tomorrow. I also question if my shop vac\hoses were large enough to pull proper vacuum or maybe I need to hook up more than two shop vacs. I used a 6HP and a 4 HP vacuum.

I received the following response from supplier:

"The design and original paperwork were pulled . As stated earlier, we use a standard wall material on all liners between 40”-42”. Anything over 42” will get an additional strip welded into the wall to make the additional wall height. Standard wall height material will be 39” plus bead. This will vary slightly when measured in the field because you have to allow or the overlap between the floor and wall seam. When the vacuum is pulled it will pull evenly on the wall and floor. This will seal the liner to the wall and as water comes up will allow the liner to pull into place evenly stretching the wall and floor. The floor to wall seam will be up slightly on the wall but that is normal for the installation. If the customer is experiencing ballooning in the 4’ R corners they will need to pull/stretch the length and width bead to release the tension in the corners. A good vac is crucial to the success of the install. All air leaks need to be eliminated and we always suggest using a vinyl vac. They pull the liner down into place better than a normal shop vac. The vac will need to remain running until there is about 6-8” in the s/e. At that point the returns and steps can be cut in."

So the liner is supposedly okay.

The weather around here has not been cooperative and maybe for the better. I called a pool installer for an estimate to set my liner and they said they don't set liners they haven't measured, but call this guy he has been in the industry for a long time. I called him and for a very reasonable rate he will come set liner for me. He wanted to come today, but we had three inches of water the past two days so I need to pump that water out of the hanging liner. So my aim is to have the liner set on Thursday, weather permitting.

if you saw no wrinkles in the liner under the water it was probably ok.

as I said, mine did stretch quite a bit in the shallow end but it didn't break and is barely noticeable with it filled to the top line.

either way i hope you get satisfaction

I would have to say the Q-VAC is awesome. Within an hour of the installer arrival, we started putting water in the pool. He asked me about the gasket I was using on the step and he doesn't like it. I bought the generic rubber gasket without adhesive back. Does anyone have any opinion? He said we would address it when the water got high enough in shallow to stop running vac.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.