Omnilogic: Mission Impossible

ek1

Oct 27, 2015
New York
I inherited an above ground pool when I bought the house in September 2014. It's an oval pool built into a wooden deck. Size is 34ft X 18ft and it's about 4.5ft deep. The pool has an ancient Hayward pump, an ancient Hayward sand filter and it used to have some sort of a chlorine generator, but the seller took it with him.

In the spring of 2015 I decided to replace all the pool equipment and modernize everything because I wanted to be able to control and monitor all the pool equipment from a mobile app. I wanted to replace a pump (preferably with a variable speed one) and to replace a sand filter with a cartridge filter. I also wanted to re-use an existing 1.5HP as a home-made "endless pool" alternative so I can have it pump out a jet of water so I can swim against it. Finally, I wanted to install a chlorine generator. After researching, I decided to buy a Hayward Omnilogic panel. After going to Hayward's web site and reaching out to 5 nearest dealers about installing an Omnilogic system, two did not respond, one responded and said they don't want to do it because they are too far and two others responded and said they do not deal with Omnilogic. I am located in Brooklyn, New York.

After some searching, I found a local pool company that claimed to know how to install the Omnilogic system and connect everything to it. Once the project started, the only "minor problem" was getting them to show up. They consistently missed installation appointments and did not return phone calls, so I pulled the plug on the project after struggling with them for 3 months. This is how I became a proud owner of the Omnilogic panel that i(bolted to a wall in my basement, not connected to ANYTHING) and a Hayward C3030 Cartridge filter (still sitting in a box).

While this nightmare was going on, I reached out to Hayward corporate on August 10th and resumed my quest to find someone who has a clue about Omnilogic. On August 13th, I heard from a nice gentlement named Walter who stated he forwarded my contact info to some people at Hayward to get it resolved. After not hearing anything from anyone at Hayward, I contacted Walter again on September 18th and asked him to respond. Walter responded on September 21st saying he will send an email to his manager. He sent me an email again on September 23 saying someone will contact me. Up to this day, nobody contacted me.

Since I am not getting any help from Hayward, I started looking for alternatives. While looking for someone to winterize and cover up the pool, I found a local person that claims to have spent 10+ years working at a pool installation company. He has no experience with Omnilogic itself, but I am a computer engineer by trade and I figured between his experience with pool equipment and my experience with computer equipment we can get this installed. This is when I started calling Hayward to research the rest of the equipment.

So far I am amazed at the amount of incorrect info that is being provided to me. First I asked the person on the phone to tell me which variable speed pumps are compatible with the Omnilogic system. I mentioned that my installer recommended a Hayward Superpump. First she said that I should get the Ecostar pump. I responded that A.) I dont have 220V available at the pool and B.) THe Ecostar is rated for way bigger pool size than what I have. I asked her about Superpump VS. She responded that Superpump will work, but then she said I need the one without a display, because Omnilogic cannot control the models with a display. I told her that Hayward does not make Superpump Variable Speed pumps without a display. Then she said Max Flo pump will work. I asked her why would anyone pick a Max Flo pump over a Super Pump and she told me to go to the web site and compare specs. Then she said that Maxflo is not going to work either because all Max Flo Variable speed pumps are 230V. Then I asked her to give me a model of a Hayward variable speed pump that will work with 110V. She said she does not know and someone will get back to me.

Then I asked about a Salt generator and told her that several people that own Hayward Sense & Dispense advised against buying it due to reliability, maintenance and stability issues. I asked her which salt generators work with Omnilogic. She told me I need a Turbocell and it will definitely work. Once I hung up with her, I read the manual for Turbocell and it says it's only compatible with Aquarite and Prologic products.

I am getting really frustrated here. All I need is one person with a brain that will come in, design a basic system, connect everything together and make it work. It can't be that hard!

Not sure what to do now. Seems like I can't find anyone who can install the system and getting is done myself is going to be a disaster due to incorrect info being provided by Hayward. It's a very sad situation.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I finally waded through that wall of test and have a few comments. I do thank you for breaking it into paragraphs.

1. If the installer is willing to help install the equipment and you're fairly confident in figuring out the programming, I'd say that's the way to go.

2. Your biggest problem with using a variable speed pump is that you don't have 240 volts available. The 115v superpump is about your only choice. I do believe that the Omnilogic will control the superpump with display. Even in the event that it won't, all you have to do is disconnect the RS-485 cable to the display and connect the omnilogic to the header.

3. The TurboCells will work with the omnilogic even if it's not indicated on the literature.

Good luck in finding a competent person to help you in your endeavor.

Ek1, I got one of the first Omnilogic panels installed in my pool in summer 2014. It has come a long way since then with new firmware releases but there are still very few pool professionals trained to properly install and configure it. I'm a computer engineer as well and have taken over configuration of my panel. Once you have it going, the API is simple to reverse engineer and you can control your pool, lights and back yard not only from your iPad or iPhone with the Hayward app, but from any internet connected appliance or computer with your own code. I do not have a VSP pump in my setup but I've heard that only the Eco-star is compatible. If you don't have 220V available, you may want to consider going with a simple 2-speed or single-speed pump. Given our short swim season in the Northeast, a 2-speed is the way to go. Any Hayward Turbocell is compatible with the Omnilogic - their documentation has just not caught up yet. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave - thanks for responding. As far as #2 goes, Hayward actually makes a variable speed pump that runs on 115V. It's called "Super Pump VS 115V" (part #SP26115VSP). The only problem is that the pump is rated for 0.85 horsepower and has a max flow rate of just above 80gpm. My installer says that I need a 1.5hp pump, with 1hp being "barely enough". This does not make sense to me because I used a few pool pump calculators and with my pool being 18,000 gallons, the pump will turn it over in 225 minutes at maximum speed. The only thing I will have connected to this pump is a Hayward C3030 cartridge filter, so even with that limiting the flow somewhat, the 0.85hp pump seems adequate. What do you think?

That's why I said that the 115v SuperPump is about your only choice.

Most installers spec way too big a pump for most installations. The SuperPump will be more than enough pump for your pool if you don't have some water feature that requires a great deal of volume.

If the OmniLogic can't control the pump software wise, you can always use relays and control it in step speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.