Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: blowing out sand for winter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Rockport tx

Question blowing out sand for winter

I've heard of some people blowing more water out of filter sand with a water vac. I'd like to do this since I have a shop vac. so for winter I will remove drain plug and blow out sand (somehow). I still haven't found that one good thread with all my winterizing questions answered. the one people tend to point to is pretty vague and leaves a lot of unknowns for a first season novice.

clean and brush --- Shock -- backwash filter --- drain a few inches past lowest inlet --- add algaecide polyquat ---- cover pool --- remove pump hoses ---- bring pump inside --- remove filter drain and blow out the water --- leave spider between two setting making it inactive which protects the gasket.

Am I missing something?
    Round Frame Pool 15' x 42" (app. 3800 gallons) converted to Krystal Clear 2800 GPH .75 HP (conversion thread Here all the links/info you will need are within), TF100 Test Kit with speed stirrer. My first SLAM

2. Back To Top    #2

Long Island NY

Re: blowing out sand for winter

If your talking about the sand filter. All you need to do is remove the drain plug and I loosen the top plug and that's it.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Howell, New Jersey

Here are instructions on Winterizing your Sand Filter:

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

Any other questions, please ask. Thanks!
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

4. Back To Top    #4
    Northern IL

I would add polyquat at least 2 hours before turning the pump off so that it circulates completely.
    27K IG rectangular; vinyl liner; sand filter; 1hp pump; auto-cover; heater; K-2006.