Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Building Process DFW, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Building Process DFW, TX

Hello All!

I'm new to the forum however I've been browsing for months to soak up the information on here. Me and my wife just built a new house and we're wanting to put in a pool. This will be out first ever pool. We're limited in size due to a 7.5ft easement on the back of the yard. Anyway I got my first quote and for the size pool we can fit it seemed a little high; however I may be wrong so I was wondering if those quote seems in line for this size/work involved in the DFW area specifically. This PB was recommended by my wife's boss who had their pool recently done with the PB and they were very happy with the process.

Here's the specs:

POOL $35,935.00
    PLANS & PERMITS CITY OF NORTH RICHLAND HILLS PLANS, PERMITS, RUNNER
    ELECTRIC REROUTE INCLUDES TRENCHING CONDUIT PULL, AND RE-CONNECT
    DRAINAGE SURVEY REQUIRED BY CITY OF NORTH RICHLAND HILLS
    ENGINEER'S LETTER CLOSER THAN 5' FROM FOUNDATION OF HOUSE TO BEAM OF POOL
    POOL SIZE 28'6"X17'
    PERIMETER 76' PERIMETER 335 SQ. FT.
    EXCAVATION TYPE TRACK HOE WITH DUMP TRUCK ACCESS
    DEPTH 3'6X5'X4' (ANY DEPTH TO 6' INCLUDED IN PRICE)
    STEEL STRUCTURE 10" CENTERS WITH ALTERNATES IN STRESS AREA
    GUNITE BOND BEAM 12" X 12" CONTINUOUS WITH 4 - 1/2" STEEL BARS
    GUNITE 6" TO 8" WALL AND FLOOR 8"-10" CORNERS AND COVES
    SKIMMERS 2 TOTAL
    DRAINS 2 TOTAL
    PLUMBING RUN 25' WITH (3) 2" SUCTION LINES WITH INDIVIDUAL VALVES
    RETURNS 5 RETURNS
    STEPS STANDARD STEPS 25' INCLUDED
    PLASTER QUARTZBRITE 100% (8 COLOR CHOICES)
    COPING 12" FLAGSTONE COPING (OKLAHOMA) CLEANED AND SEALED
    TILE 6" WATER LINE TILE STANDARD TILE CHOICE
    CONTROLLER DIGITAL TIME CLOCKS
    PUMP 2 H.P. 2 SPEED JANDY
    FILTER 460 CARTRIDGE FILTER
    LIGHTS JANDY WATER COLORS LED LIGHT FOR POOL & SPA
    ELECTRIC WIRE PUMPS, LIGHTS, TIME CLOCKS, FREEZE GUARD
    CLEANING SYSTEM POLARIS 280
    SANITIZER AQUPURE 14 SALT SYSTEM
    RAISED BEAMS, DROP BEAMS, RETAINING WALLS $0.00
    N/A
    DECKS $4,883.00
    DECKING TYPE 525 SQ. FT. OF SALT FINISH (NO COLOR)
    DRAINS 20' CHANNEL DRAIN SET BETWEEN HOUSE AND POOL
    DRAIN PIPE 65' OF 4" FLEXPIPE INCLUDED
    ACCESSORIES AND FEATURES $210.00
    BENCHES (1) 18''X18" WITH A STEPOUT
    SPA N/A $11,347.00
    6'X6' ROUND RAISED 18" WITH 5 JETS
    SPILLWAY 2' WIDE SPILLROCK
    HEATER 400,000 BTU NATURAL GAS (JXI)
    GAS LINES 70' FROM METER TO HEATER INCLUDED
    PLUMBING RUN 60' FROM EQUIPMENTS TO CENTER OF SPA
    BLOWER 1 H.P. FOR BUBBLES
    CLEAN-UP $3,850.00
    CLEAN UP REGULAR CLEAN UP (RE-GRADE YARD AND CLEAN UP DEBRIS)
    CLEAN UP (1) LOADS OF TOP SOIL SPREAD AROUND POOL AND ACCESS
    SPRINKLER SYSTEM REPAIR AND REROUTE EXISTING SPRINKLER SYSTEM
    FENCE PUT BACK EXISTING FENCE PANNELS IN ACCESS
    TOTAL $56,225.00
    ROCK CLAUSE $650 HAMMER HOOK UP $250 PER HOUR ($2,000 CAP)
    *NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE*
    OPTIONS NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE
    UPGRADE PUMP TO JANDY FLOWPRO (VARIABLE SPEED PUMP) $525.00
    WIRELESS PDA-4 POOL & SPA REMOTE $1,450.00
    JANDY I-AQUA LINK (SMARTPHONE CONTROL) $1,450.00
    UPGRADE PLASTER INTERIOR FINISH TO PEBBLE $400.00
    UPGRADE DECKING MATERIAL TO SUNDEK (COOL SURFACE) $1,160.00
    CAP EXISTING PATIO WITH SUNDEK $1,395.00
    PAYMENT SCHEDULE: 30% DUE AT EXCAVATION $16,867.50
    35% DUE AT GUNITE $19,678.75
    30% DUE AT DECKS SET $16,867.50
    5% DUE AT STARTUP $2,811.25

I'm pretty sure we would do all the "options" with the exception of the PDA as I don't feel that would be needed if I can control everything with the IAQUA Link.

Also are there any additional items I should be looking to add to the quote that I may be forgetting? This is mainly for my wife and I to relax and enjoy with friends and family. Would like to throw up a volleyball net or add a basketball hoop and enjoy. Not looking to swim laps or anything

Any help in regards to the estimate being in line with the DFW market would be great.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Building Process DFW, TX

I'm not sure about the price, but regardless if it's reasonable or not, you will always benefit from interviewing multiple pool builders and comparing their quotes and designs, along with the equipment and other options. If you have your design set in your mind then it is easier to tell them exactly what you are looking for, and helps to compare apples to apples as much as possible. But even if not, you will get a feel for which builder you like the best, and whom you'd feel most comfortable working with.

Good luck on your decision! It is very exciting to be in the market for a pool!
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

^^^^what JamieP said. There are several DFW builds on this forum you can search for and ask via PM about their pool builders if you need some more recommendations (or who to avoid!).

Oh, and welcome to TFP!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the input! I do have a few appointments with a couple other builders so maybe that will give me a better estimate on if this price is high based on the size of this project. I did notice a lot of dfw builds so good idea on PMing the members for their input.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! +1 on getting other quotes! You should be able to get great feedback from the other DFW area peeps on here. I'll be in to watch.
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

For any accessories that you want it is best to decide on them now so you make the appropriate modifications now. If not, you may limit your options to what can be done later with the setup you have.

Specifically I can think of volleyball or basketball pole sleeves in the deck. Some require nice stainless ones to match up. There is nothing particularly standard. Decide what you want and plan ahead. There are all types of basketball hoops. Many with water bases and others with posts. Volleyball too.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in Bedford, right down the street from you, For reference my pool cost about $43K. The pool itself is slightly bigger, but I have no spa, although I do have a small waterfall wall. Same basic depth with the Pentair version of the equipment on your option list. So adding in the spa puts you in the same basic price range that I paid. Although I'm not sure if that is good or bad...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    For any accessories that you want it is best to decide on them now so you make the appropriate modifications now. If not, you may limit your options to what can be done later with the setup you have.

Specifically I can think of volleyball or basketball pole sleeves in the deck. Some require nice stainless ones to match up. There is nothing particularly standard. Decide what you want and plan ahead. There are all types of basketball hoops. Many with water bases and others with posts. Volleyball too.
    Very good points, I didn't even think of this. I assume they were easy to put in after the pool was done. Thanks!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Sleeves are not easy to put in afterwards. MUCH better before, during construction.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

A lot less than what we paid in Austin, but we had a technically challenging and very sloped lot that required a lot of concrete work.

If your rock up there is anything like our rock down here, go ahead and add that $2K for rock busting right now...
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

11. Back To Top    #11

we're in the bid process and it's enough to make my head spin. one PB saying the gunite of another bid is inadequate, equipment is junk, etc.. and said he could build their pool for the same price but "doesn't want to build that pool"

we've had most of the popular DFW PBs come out for an estimate (Paul Miller, Klapprodt, Claffey, Puryear, Bravo, Mid-Cities) and are trying to narrow it down to 1-2. if any DFWers have any opinions on any of these, shoot me a PM. in the meantime, I'll start digging thru some of the other DFW threads..

12. Back To Top    #12

Price looks fairly in line. Maybe a tad high, but it is worth it to have a PB you trust. I would skip the cool deck, we are very happy with our rock salt colored deck. No upcharge, fairly cool and maintenance free. I would gladly recommend my PB, also my neighbor for 10 years. Reber Pools Pics in my build thread, link in sig.

We did a pool and added a separate hot tub on the patio for about 6k. Comfortable, always hot, covered, cheap to operate.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

@darin.brown We met with multiple PBs also. We ended up going with Seahorse. They educate you on all the different types of equipment and pool types. They don't push you towards a particular type. As where others would trash salt or different types of equipment with ridiculous reasons. There are several homes in my subdivision that went with Seahorse.

21,000 gallons, Salt, IG Gunite, Plaster Finish, Free From, Pentair FNS DE cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflo-VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40, 2 port fountains, bubbler in tanning deck, Dolphin M400, TF-100, K-1766, Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by darin.brown View Post
    we're in the bid process and it's enough to make my head spin. one PB saying the gunite of another bid is inadequate, equipment is junk, etc.. and said he could build their pool for the same price but "doesn't want to build that pool"

we've had most of the popular DFW PBs come out for an estimate (Paul Miller, Klapprodt, Claffey, Puryear, Bravo, Mid-Cities) and are trying to narrow it down to 1-2. if any DFWers have any opinions on any of these, shoot me a PM. in the meantime, I'll start digging thru some of the other DFW threads..
    I'm pending a quote from Puryear today. I have to go to their showroom to check it out. One thing I didn't like about them is they kept pushing a product that's only been out for like 6 years and tell me its far superior than anything ever invented. When I told them I wanted the pebbletec they still kept pushing their "exclusive" product. Maybe it is better, maybe it isn't however I wouldn't discredit another product to make a point. I had a a bad experience with Klapprodt before I even got a quote so I didn't bother with them. Still debating on some other PBs to try and narrow it down.

15. Back To Top    #15

Multiple estimates will give a better idea of the "deal" you're getting. I would also have the estimate include specific tile selections and stone finish. Its hard to picture what you want exactly but if you look at tile samples before hand and agree on a "tile level". These small things can add up.

16. Back To Top    #16

Got another quote last night and it was about on par as the previous qhote. It was a little more however included a built in firepit. This design was very similar except they did a full paver decking so I could have more decking over my 7.5ft utility easement. I was surprised they were able to do a full paver decking and keep it at the same basic cost of the other builder with the salt decking. Also the pool is slightly bigger with a bigger hot tub as well.

Any one know of issues with salt water pool on paver decking? How does this hold up and do we still need to seal bi-annually? Also I haven't seen many pictures with full paver decking however I did like the fact that I could get more decking than I could with a permanent decking alternatives.

Also I was told on going with pebbletec before I went to the showroom and he was trying to sell us on the "Aqua Brite". Is anyone familiar with this product vs the pebbletec. He said its the next best thing since sliced bread so...that made me skeptical but it did feel much nicer than the pebbletec I'm just concerned about longevity.

17. Back To Top    #17

Pavers are made of concrete and will hold up to salt just fine, same as a concrete deck.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Is anyone familiar with "Aqua Bright" from Ecofinish? One of the PB really pushes this and makes it sound great. I did like the way it felt compared to the pebbletec and they offer a lifetime warranty on labor and materials on it. However they advised it's a fairly new product and they have the exclusive rights to it in my area for so many years. This makes me want to stay away from it but they talk it up and it feels really nice. Right around the same price as the pebbletec.

Any opinions or anyone who has this stuff?